Email monitor and Vista

irish56_ak

Anyone get the email monitor (2004) to work with Vista. Goes through the setup fine, but doesn't work (for me). Config screen says "NOID", display says "[E01]". By the way, there are 3 pre-made email screens in CC2, the only one available when I click "Load Screen" is 2004- the other 2 aren't available. LCD is serial 634.

Thanks,
Fitz
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
I wish I could help you here, but I have never been able to get Outlook to work with the CC2 email screens.:(

Also, my current ISP is thru MSN (Qwest DSL), which uses a different format, so I still cannot verify how it works.

Perhaps someone with who uses a different email client can chime in?

CF Mark

Administrator
It does... it checks the POP3 server.

Im doing some testing on the email plugin at the moment, its well overdue for some known bug fixes.

jc634

Administrator
Ah, I remember now. CC2 would somehow prevent Outlook from accessing the account. It was rather frustrating.

MSN is not a POP3 account, so it won't do me any good now, anyway.:(

reider

Downloaded and installed the new CC2, 12.08.07. Installed CC2, loaded the email screen enclosed within the configuration setup. Tested and working with Vista 32 bit, don`t know what the refresh time is-I just restarted CC2 and the message was there.

Test:

Sent a test message from myself to myself, and AOK! This is using Vista 32 bit and built in 'Windows Email' program. Thanks Admin....

Reider

CF Mark

Administrator
Good to hear :)

I didnt find the cause of the interferance with outlook express... i couldnt reproduce the problem here, it seemed to work fine.

reider

I never used to use Outlook, only the Outlook Express version which never had a problem. Jim had the problem with Outlook though. Not sure if I tested with anything else. Not sure what the Windows Email program is in Vista, is it WinMail or something?

EDIT:
I sent mail from a newly configured Outlook in Office 2007, saw it on the LCD too, then downloaded via Outlook. Can`t independently test though because I`m running WinMail too so its a waste of time. At least I know Outlook works since my Fdisk/format a couple of days ago. Not that I`ll use it, its far too cluttered for me. Prefer WinMail. Eudora or Outlook Express would be my next choice.

I have about 6 accounts for my email currently, as they`re all on the same domain the LCD module checks them all collectively for me. I can though put them on seperate passwords so it only checks 4 out of 6 or whatever. Only takes seconds to reconfigure or add new email accounts. This makes the email screen extremely useful for me, I used it a lot in the past. Thanks once again for updating it and sorting Vista.

Reider

Last edited:

Crystalmancer

Vista Ultimate x32, CF635 w/SCAB, CC2 8/12/07

Everything is running smooth for me. All my screens loaded and worked without a hitch.

Tried the email plug in for the first time, since I also had probs with it before this build. All the options are working fine for me, BUT, for some reason, it takes about 3 minutes before it notifies me of new emails AND about another 3 before the "FROM" and "SUBJECT" lines show data. I have the "sleep" set to 60 seconds, so I don't know what takes so long for the fields to populate. I was thinking that maybe there is a hard coded, minimum refresh time, but that still wouldn't explain the LONG lapse from the time that the "new emails" field populates and the time the "from" and "subject" fields populate. I would've thought that they would populate simultaneously, no? :confused:

I'll give it a go on XP tomorrow.

reider

I did a series of tests and it was taking over 6 minutes and still no sign on the LCD. Checked mail headers on the server with Mail Washer Pro and no mail in evidence. So it wouldn`t work.

Next test, mail was up and running properly. Sent a test message and began timing from the second it left my machine. 19 seconds later the LCD reported new mail. Did a second test and once again began timing from when it left my machine, 8 seconds. I did set it to 60 seconds as a test, temporarily. It is shorter than this because it depends at what point in time the timer is, it may be 40 seconds into 60 and only 20 to go.

I suggest that 180 seconds is not bad at all really, much does also depend on the mail server. Secondly, I would not wish to leave mine at 60 seconds, 5 minutes is plenty. I do not want it polling too often. As a test though it passes with flying colours.

Regards,

Reider

Crystalmancer

Yeah, I only had it at 60 seconds for testing. Normally, I poll every 6 minutes.

The delay in getting a reading is not problematic for me. What is weird, however, is the delay in getting the "FROM" and "SUBJECT". I get a little impatient when I see the "new email" counter got to 1...2...3 and then my lcd cycles for about 3 more minutes before I see the "FROM" and "SUBJECT". :(

Not really a big deal, but it would be nice to see all the info at once.

Crystalmancer

Vista Ultimate x32, CF635 w/SCAB, CC2 8/12/07

Everything is running smooth for me. All my screens loaded and worked without a hitch.

Tried the email plug in for the first time, since I also had probs with it before this build. All the options are working fine for me, BUT, for some reason, it takes about 3 minutes before it notifies me of new emails AND about another 3 before the "FROM" and "SUBJECT" lines show data. I have the "sleep" set to 60 seconds, so I don't know what takes so long for the fields to populate. I was thinking that maybe there is a hard coded, minimum refresh time, but that still wouldn't explain the LONG lapse from the time that the "new emails" field populates and the time the "from" and "subject" fields populate. I would've thought that they would populate simultaneously, no? :confused:

I'll give it a go on XP tomorrow.
Well, the email plug-in is NOT working for me on XP PRO x32. I did the usual routine: uninstalled the old version of CC2. Cleaned up the registry. Did a fresh install of CC2 8/12/07.

Loaded ONLY the email program and fired it up. Waited 10 minutes and got nothing. I removed the screen and re-added it, being extra careful to enter all my info correctly. Waited another 10 minutes...20 minutes...nothing. Just in case, I once again removed the email screen and added my hard-coded email screen, which is working perfectly in Vista, and that didn't work either. :(

Has anybody else been able to test on XP??

CF Mark

Administrator
Check the email plugins log file.
You may have to set the logging level to NOTICE (file_level=1 in logprefs) to see the messages.

jc634

Administrator
I tried setting up my gmail account which uses incoming port 995, if I remember correctly. CC2 won't read "nuthin" in Vista 64. I send a message, wait, nothing. I open Outlook 2007 (which doses work!), and I read the new message.

Is everyone using Port 110?, hence a problem with other ports, or maybe heading in the wrong direction here?

I have not a chance to try this out in other OS's, yet. Just wondering right now on the port...

Crystalmancer

Check the email plugins log file.
You may have to set the logging level to NOTICE (file_level=1 in logprefs) to see the messages.
Mmmmm...no, that wasn't the problem.

Since I had never used a CC2 screen that had to access the internet (i.e., email, RSS), I had not noticed that my firewall was blocking CC2 :eek: I don't have a firewall installed in Vista because the 2 firewalls that I like are not Vista ready yet, so that's why it was working in Vista and not XP DOH!!

It's working fine now on XP AND without the delay I'm getting in Vista. :)

Sorry about the false alarm.

I tried setting up my gmail account which uses incoming port 995, if I remember correctly. CC2 won't read "nuthin" in Vista 64. I send a message, wait, nothing. I open Outlook 2007 (which doses work!), and I read the new message.
jc, the instructions from my IP provider (COX) instructed Vista users to use a different sever address ("spop" instead of just "pop" and port 995 instead of 110) to set up WinMail. So I tried that for the CC2 screen. But I did not get anything on port 995. I tried adding both screens at the same time and the screen with port 110 worked but not the 995 port screen.

jc634

Administrator
I'm not sure about the spop, as Outlook works just fine with pop. Most email is thru port 110, gmail just happens to be thru port 995.

Anyway, I'll edit the ini file and see if spop works. Worth a shot, anyway.

jc634

Administrator
From the log file with pop:

ERROR 20070715-213604-585.709823s timed_read#818: did not get response after 15 seconds
WARNING 20070715-213604-585.711172s check_mail#554: did not get welcome from "pop.gmail.com"

with spop:

WARNING 20070715-213839-11.666462s check_mail#506: could not get address for server "spop.gmail.com:995" (err: 11004)

I would say pop is correct. However, for some reason, CC2 can not get gmail to respond with pop.

CF Mark

Administrator
I'm not sure about the spop, as Outlook works just fine with pop. Most email is thru port 110, gmail just happens to be thru port 995.
Ah....
That would be because gmail requires SSL encrypted POP3 coms.
The CC2 email plugin doesnt have any SSL capabilities :(

All other normal POP3 servers which the plugin does support should use port 110.