"Netstats" Screen Help

Madness

I was trying these but they don't seem to be working. I got the correct name of my network adapter from the perfdump.txt file and edited the 2004 file (I hope Notepad was OK!), but all I get is "[E01]" after each prompt (i.e. Bandwidth: [E01]Mbps). Do I actually have to add the & "perfs" & ID's from cc2_perfmon.ini into the screen file itself? I am using a 635 display, BTW.

Follow-up: I also tried programming the two upper LEDs to show net traffic according to this thread. However, I get no life from them, either (although the CPU usage on the lower two DOES work). Here's what the screen put into my cc2_perfmon.ini file:

[perf03]
id=3074140086
full_name="\\Network Interface(NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller)\\Bytes Received/sec"
precision=0
multiplier=1

[perf04]
id=2089663246
full_name="\\Network Interface(NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller)\\Bytes Sent/sec"
precision=0
multiplier=1

[perf05]
id=3364537244
full_name="\\Network Interface(NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller)\\Current Bandwidth"
precision=0
multiplier=1

Now I'm assuming that the adapter name in the parenthesis has to match the name as shown in WinXP's Device Manager, correct? If so, that's what I replaced to the screen "2004" file. And the ID's from the top two lines went into the lcd_635.ini in the appropriate places (for the LEDs). Think that's all correct but still nothing! :(
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

jc634

Administrator
hmm,

It's been toooo long and a couple of configurations later, but I will try to set mine up to do what you want.

Hopefully, we can get your set-up working from that. I have basketball games to go to tonight, parent confirmation "moderator" tomorrow, games again Thursday... You get the picture!;)

Between all that, I'll see what I can figure out. Patience...

JC

jc634

Administrator
OK, I used the Network in-out Histograms.2002 screen. It was the 1st one I found.;) Easy to mod for a 635, tho.

The pertinent code (for my adapter):

[from00]
from="cc2_perfmon.ini"
sec="perf#"
opt01="id=@01"
opt02="full_name=\\Network Interface(Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Received/sec"
opt03="precision=0"
opt04="multiplier=1"

[from01]
from="cc2_perfmon.ini"
sec="perf#"
opt01="id=@02"
opt02="full_name=\\Network Interface(Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Sent/sec"
opt03="precision=0"
opt04="multiplier=1"

The perfmon.ini file gave me this info:

[perf15]
id=2657419221
full_name="\\Network Interface(Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Received/sec"
precision=0
multiplier=1

[perf16]
id=672299844
full_name="\\Network Interface(Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport)\\Bytes Sent/sec"
precision=0
multiplier=1

I edited the lcd_635.ini as follows:

led01_order=5
led01_smooth=7
led01_id_value=672299844
led01_value_max=5000.000000
led01_value_min=50.000000
led02_order=5
led02_smooth=7
led02_id_value=2657419221
led02_value_max=10000.000000
led02_value_min=0.000000

The max values are a little low for my setup as they show mostly red. Start low and increase the max value until you observe a black-green-red transtion you like. If you start too high, you will see black (would look like they are not working).

Questions? I have to leave shortly, so it may be awhile to answer 'em.

JC

Madness

I just got back onto my computer. But I tried your values and I still get nothing. Using the histogram screen, all I get is Send: 0 & Rec: 0. No life from the LEDs, either. How does the network adapter name affect this?

If you have to go somewhere, that's fine. Catch me when you're back.

jc634

Administrator
Attached is a screen file for a 634/635 with the adapter info from your 1st post.

1. Add this screen to your 635.
2. Open the cc2_perfmon.ini file. You will see something like:

[perfxx]
id=2657419221
full_name="\\Network Interface(NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller)\\Bytes Received/sec"
precision=0
multiplier=1

[perfxx]
id=672299844
full_name="\\Network Interface(NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller)\\Bytes Sent/sec"
precision=0
multiplier=1

Please note that YOUR id #'s will be different.

3. Open your lcd_635.ini file Copy or add the following for the top 2 LED's. Copy/paste in your actual id #'s.

led01_order=5
led01_smooth=7
led01_id_value=672299844 ;(your id # will be different)
led01_value_max=5000.000000
led02_order=5
led02_smooth=7
led02_id_value=2657419221 ;(your id # will be different)
led02_value_max=10000.000000
led02_value_min=0.000000

Again, you may have to adjust the max values, but doing this should work. If it does not, zip up your perfmon.ini and lcd_635 files, and attach them here.

Restart the service.

OK?:)

JC

Attachments

CF Mark

Administrator
I just got back onto my computer. But I tried your values and I still get nothing. Using the histogram screen, all I get is Send: 0 & Rec: 0. No life from the LEDs, either. How does the network adapter name affect this?

If you have to go somewhere, that's fine. Catch me when you're back.
If you get values of "0", it means your getting stats for the wrong NIC, or thats just the values the NIC's drivers are reporting.
If you got "NA", then you know the setup was incorrect.

Run perfmon from the windows start menu, and check the values in there.

Madness

I've read and followed your instructions to the letter. Since I tried four different netstat screens (the three in the netstats folder + the attached histogram), there's now four sets of settings for my adapter in the cc2_perfmon.ini file (each w/ different ID's). Assuming that the last set at the bottom are the latest, those are the ID's I used in the lcd_635.ini file. I've tried some basic options for the max_value settings; halving, doubling, etc. Figured if I got some life, I could tweak them later. you'll have to excuse me, BTW, but I got hte display on monday so I'm a complete newbie. But my files are attached.

Attachments

jc634

Administrator
np, everyone has to start somewhere.;)

I'm sure CCadmin had fun answering some of my "newbie" questions.:p

I downloaded your file, I'll look at it tomorrow night...

JC

Madness

If you get values of "0", it means your getting stats for the wrong NIC, or thats just the values the NIC's drivers are reporting.
If you got "NA", then you know the setup was incorrect.

Run perfmon from the windows start menu, and check the values in there.
Hi CCA, thanks for the insight. I did, indeed, get the NIC name from the perfdump.txt file. This adapter is built into the motherboard and its drivers are part of the NVidia chipset's driver installer. And yes, the histogram screen that jc634 added above shows all zeros and the Netstats screen (jc_Netstats.2004) shows [E01] after everything, but no NA's.

The NIC is attached to a Linksys router which is, in turn, attached to a DSL modem. The 635 LED's (& the screens) should be reporting traffic between the NIC and the LAN/NAT side of the router, correct? If so, I could try disabling the NVidia adapter and adding a PCI one just to try and rule out the driver issue.

jc634

Administrator
BTW, I completely forgot to mention. If you're not on the internet or accessing a server, your stats will be almost 0.

To check (while viewing the net screen/LED's), get on the internet and download a file or 2. Remember, these values are "live" stats and report what is currently happening in your NIC.

JC

Madness

BTW, I completely forgot to mention. If you're not on the internet or accessing a server, your stats will be almost 0.

To check (while viewing the net screen/LED's), get on the internet and download a file or 2. Remember, these values are "live" stats and report what is currently happening in your NIC.

JC
Yup, tried that. Downloading some big files and streaming audio from Live365. No dice, there, either.

jc634

Administrator
Couple of things:

should be

led01_value_min=0.000000

VERY minor issue; I simply forgot to change the value.

Other than that, there is not much else I can do to debug (out of my range of expertise).:( It should work.

With a DSL modem, the uppper values *should* show something.

Perhaps CCadmin would have more suggestions to try out, or he might see something that I may have missed. Sorry...

JC

Madness

Did you try this??
Sorry, yes I did this. I only saw three default settings (Page, HDD, Processor Total). I added the three settings for my network card (Sent, Rec'd & Bandwidth), backed up the original perfmon.msc and saved a new one. These are logging traffic on the graph in the window, but still all [E01]'s on the display. I did restart CC2 after removing the screen & again after putting it back in (just in case that made a difference).

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Sorry, yes I did this. I only saw three default settings (Page, HDD, Processor Total). I added the three settings for my network card (Sent, Rec'd & Bandwidth), backed up the original perfmon.msc and saved a new one. These are logging traffic on the graph in the window.
So they are showing good data... ie, they move when you DL/UL data?

[E01] means the ID number specified in the cc2_service.ini couldnt be matched by any of the plugins.
So ID numbers between the cc2_service.ini file and cc2_perfmon.ini (or other plugin INIs) dont match.

Zip up and attach all the INI and LOG files in your CC2 directory, ill see if i can work out whats wrong.

CF Mark

Administrator
Well, ive had a quick look through and the ID numbers do match up, so im not quite sure why the E01's are happening.

Ive attached a super simple, bare minimum setup to display the NIC information.
Copy out your current INIs somewhere safe, delete all the INIs from the CC2 directory, then use the new INIs in this ZIP.

Let me know what happens.

Attachments

Madness

Hi again CCA. Just to clear up, we're talking about two screens here. The files you added are for the network histogram (for a 631, modified for the 635). These still show Send: 0 & Rec: 0 even w/ your files. The screen that gives me all the [E01]'s is jc_Netstats.2004.

Your mention of the [E01]'s meaning that the ID's aren't matching seems to be true. I've noticed that the relevant ID's for the three items on the latter screen are different in the cc2_perfmon.ini & the cc2_service.ini files. I took the ID's for for these items from the cc2_perfmon.ini & put them into the cc2_service.ini & now the Netstats screen is working!!!!

Last edited:

'99

@Madness Just wondering... did you get to work? I've been trying to get mine to work as well.... I'll try this description step by step... and see how it turns out.

Btw. CCA... will there be any futher development in CC2? or is it complete?