What can the buttons on the CFA-635 do?

Mike Eckman

So far, I am very happy with my CFA-635, but one thing that I am having a hard time figuring out is what I can do with the buttons. My original plan for a LCD screen was one without buttons, but when I heard about the programmable buttons, visions in my head appeared of me being able to control aspects of my server or possibly even shut it down with the LCD buttons.

Ive been scouring this site for the past couple days, and so far, the only things the buttons seem to be able to do is scroll between my screens, and control Winamp. Since Im using this on a server, Winamp or other media controls are of no use to me.

It doesnt appear to have any other way of programming actual computer functions to be controlled by the keys.

If controlling Winamp and scrolling through screens is all it can do, that kind of a disappointment to me. I could have saved some money and went with a different LCD without the buttons.

So, someone, please give me some guidance on what other useful functions can be had with those buttons.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
The events system in CC2 didnt get developed as far as i would have liked (ie, missing a GUI).
Besides the basics youve mentioned there isnt much else you can do, especially when it comes it interaction with other 3rd party software or windows settings.

Being a server probably the only other actions of interest to you are changing 635 SCAB fan speeds.

What kind of actions were you after?

Mike Eckman

The events system in CC2 didnt get developed as far as i would have liked (ie, missing a GUI).
What kind of actions were you after?
What I would most like to do is have some commands that would allow me to access a "Shutdown, Restart, Hibernate" menu. Since my server is headless, the only way I can do this is by RDPing into it. Which isnt really all that bad, but it would be super neat to be able to just walk to the server, access a shutdown menu with my LCD and perform the action.

In a more expanded role, I think it would be nice to be able to create my own macros and execute them from menus on the LCD.

For example, I could create a macro that begins a virus scan or something from a command line and have a screen on the LCD where I could execute that command.

I know thats a lot more complex of a wish, but I think that by giving more control over a headless server would greatly increase the appeal of an LCD screen such as this.