Vista 64bit and Perfmon-enum -- No workie :/

Rahtok

So I'm finally migrating my 635 off of an old XP box to a new Vista 64bit box. None of the LED, CPU, or other info is coming in right. perfmon-enum errors out and never gives me anything. I did a search and found some mention of xp 64 bit issues and a new perfmon-enum that had the runtime dll included. None of these seem to make any diff. Run as admin, run as xp... nothin seems to be helping.

Any thoughts?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Hi,

Is CC2 running as a user tray application?
Check this in the "General Options" tab in the configuration app.
This may help to fix some of your issues.

Perfmon items listing in the screen editor should (i havent tested this) only work if the config app has been run as administrator.

If these things dont help, please follow the instructions found here:
https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=4418

Rahtok

So I discovered you can drag and drop stuff from the perfmon plugin screen, and that's helped tons. How do you save screens out now though? The "save" button is always greyed out...

Rahtok

OK -- I'm a little lost here. If I set it to run as a user tray app -- nothing seems to work at all until I manually go in and start the service. If I set it to run as a service, everything seems to load up just fine.

However, I can't seem to figure out why any of the .ini or .log files are not being generated -- does CC2 not have the ability to write to it's own directory?

Without the .ini files, I can't get the LEDs to fire up... I hate Vista! :p

Rahtok

aaaaHA! That was it.

I hadn't realized that Vista wasn't showing me anything, and I couldn't find the .ini files to save my life. I looked in the program folder, I looked in the users data folder, but was just baffled as to where things were being hidden. After you pointed out there was a \programdata folder... well, things got better.

WTB updated manual that says if the .ini files aren't in the program directory, look in \programdata and unhide your system folder! :p

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming that if I use the screenbuilder thing to monitor my CPUs, then the perfmon ID numbers will be in the ccr_perfmon.ini... right?

Now that I know this, I can say that this CC2 is much easier than the one I was running that was a couple of years old. I like that it has the screen builder.

...so why is it that the save button doesn't work on that again? Is that a teaser button that's really not linked to anything? :eek:

CF Mark

Administrator
Good to hear youve got most of it figured out.
Saving screens to disk doesnt work... it hasnt been implemented :(

KickButts

Perhaps https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?t=5331 this will help a bit. I have Vista x64 and run CC2 as a service. And yes, CC2 creates it own data directory. In C:\ProgramData\CrystalControl2.
I wanna run CC2 as a service in Vista64 too, but the topic you point at teachs how to open it as a try application, instead.

Mine is running as a service, but can't read other apps info.

Can you tell me how can I work around this?

jc634

Administrator
That thread is for the config program that resides in the taskbar. This has nothing to do with running the service as a tray ap or as a service.

I still run mine as a service, which I prefer over running as a tray ap.

KickButts

But running as a service does allow you to read (i.e.) RivaTuner info?

Here I can't make these 2 work together anymore.

jc634

Administrator
That depends on what version of RivaTuner you are using. Sometimes how the program sends info to external apps changes, which might mean an update to CC2. CCadmin would have to help you at this point.

KickButts

Sorry about that, Jim.

I'm using RivaTuner 2.22 and CC2 on a Vista x64 rig.

So, Dave, can you give me some light here? :eek:

KickButts

Sorry about that, Jim.

I'm using RivaTuner 2.22 and CC2 on a Vista x64 rig.

So, Dave, can you give me some light here? :eek:
Now I'm using Riva 2.24 and the latest CC2 still on the same Vista x64 Ultimate computer and still can't make the two of them to work together.

Any tips?

CF Mark

Administrator
That thread is for the config program that resides in the taskbar. This has nothing to do with running the service as a tray ap or as a service.
I still run mine as a service, which I prefer over running as a tray app.
Actually it does.
Under Vista, CC2 will need to be run as a tray app to have access to information from most of the 3rd part applications CC2 supports (like rivatuner).
This is due to the "security" in Vista which stops NT services from accessing user-space applications.