using 645 LEDs for load monitoring

ehall

I figured out a way to use the LEDs on the 635 to monitor system load.

There is a performance counter object System\Processor Queue Length, which shows the number of threads waiting to be executed. By mapping each LED to different queue depths I can make them light up to reflect the load.

For the bottom LED, I set the min value of 0, and used min values of 2, 4 and 8 for the other three, in that order. Then I set a max value of 12 for each LED entry. What this causes is the bottom LED to light up whenever there is 1-3 (or more) jobs in the queue, while the next LED lights up whenever there are 4-7 jobs, and so forth. When there are more than 8 threads waiting to be processed (but less than 12) all of the LEDs are lit. Once it hits 12, the LEDs start turning orange.

This works really well. I will post a photo next time I bring in a camera.

One thing to keep in mind here is that more processors (or hyper-threading processors) will drain the thread pool faster so you may want to scale it down if you have a big multiprocessor system.

Note to devs: please make the lcd_635.ini file understand the variable @nn notation. It is a major pain to have to rediscover the literal identifier associated with a perfmon task.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Nice one.
That is a good way to monitor performance.

Ill think a little more about adding support for getting ID numbers from the LCD INIs... its not an easy thing to do.

ehall

What do the different values for smooth= do? I tried setting some of them to different values and it didn't seem to make a significant difference

CF Mark

Administrator
They change the rate a which the leds change to the new value.
Similar to the bargraph smoothing.