Usb?

Jonas

I see a lot of options for serial lcds, and while they seem pretty sweet, i wonder about usb verions. I can't find any of those. I was thinking that one could use the extra usb header now standard on most mobos to talk to your lcd/power it. since usb has better/faster transfer it would seem the better option, and keep all the cables inside your pc instead of hooking up to the external serial port. i guess you could just take any usb cable hack an end off it, and add a connector for the header to it... any thoughts?

I admit i know very little about these devices as of yet, but i plan on using one in my next mod project for a temp readout etc....
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Jonas

nevermind i see now that i could buy any number of spiffy serial-usb cables. then to keep it all inside just use the header connector that came with the board(sans face plate) and viola! all inside the case.

now the more sticky part of the question is this: how well do those cables work? and does the software currently out there for d/l work ok with it?

Ferrari355

thats a good question.... I like CF Seiral displays... I might want to add more then 1... So does the Serial Usb thing work good?

M

MWP

As far as ive heard, the usb-serial converters work fine with CF serial LCDs.
There may be some power problems though, but thats easy to fix.

Ferrari355

Are you talking about the short Serial cable with the usb conector on the end? That must use the Usb ports inside the caomputer? Also I could add as many Lcd displays as I wanted?

kronchev

I know of a direct serial to USB backpack that will be coming out shortly. Basically it eliminates the need to get a backpack. So you literally just attach a parallel LCD to this thing and plug it in USB. best part is it draw power from the USB so you dont need to hook anythign inside. I will post a thread about it once production starts.