Usb 634 Inop After New Deiver Installed

pkihome

Hi;
I installed the Crystalfontz USB driver supplied on the Microsoft Update web site. 7-12-06.
After doing so, the installation failed in and error and will not work at all now.
Here are the specifics of my hardware and software:
Crystalfontz USB 634 LCD display connected to a USB port.
Crystalfontz software 1.07 build 230.
Crystalfontz will display the good data collected from Motherboard Monitor in the LCD settings screen. But the USB will not connect to the serial port.
I'm using Motherboard Monitor for data.
Motherboard Moniter version 5.3.7.0. Motherboard Monitor is collecting and displaying good data.
The USB driver downloaded and installed from Microsoft; CFA634-USB version: 1.0.2176.0
I have removed and reinstalled everything and it will not work anymore... (not working is the Com 3 seial port gets an error on bootup and never connects to the display on the LCD panel).
I removed the Motherboard Monitor, I removed the driver for Crystal Control, I removed the Crystal Control software and re installed. I even used an older (and previously working drivers; 2134, 2147, 2154, none of the work anymore).
Can someone tell me the complete removal process and the proper sequince of reinstallation?

Thanks in advance.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

pkihome

That first driver is for a 633 display, so I did not try it, the second one is driver 2154, and I have down loaded it and installed it.
The same problem exists. Still no connection the the serial port.
I get the inital error with com 3 and it never connects.

Is it necessary to clear data in the registry?
Or is there a complete removal process I need to do to install?
Thanks.

jc634

Administrator
FWIW, I've never had any luck updating HW drivers thru Windows Update, directly that is. And when I mean any luck, I mean that I have run into the same type of problem you have.

My Rule #1 for driver updates: Never, Never update drivers directly from Windows Update. If necessary, use the Device Manager, or go the manufacturers website to download the latest.

I updated my LCD drivers in this way:

- Stopped CC2, or in your case CC1
- Opened Control Panel/System/clicked on the Hardware tab and opened the Device Manager.
- Expanded the Ports (COM & LPT) menu, right clicked on the LCD module I need to update, clicked on the Update Driver
- Allow the Update Wizard to connect to Windows Update to search for new drivers

Follow the instructions.

Hopefully this helps.

Jim

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

robo85045

I'm having the same trouble, had to reinstall the drivers after I was forced to reinstall windows, and both my lcds will not respond to any commands (although the ports are connecting properly)

I got the drivers from windows update, and changed the com port for both lcds before attempting to connect to them.

I tried installing the drivers to use the driver download on the main site, but windows immediately re installs the driver without prompting me whenever I plug in the lcd now, and I am not sure if it is using the windows update drivers or the new ones that I installed. Telling it to update the driver using the ones downloaded from this site wont work, as it claims there are no better drivers for it.

driver versions:
bolth 1.0.2176.0, 12/12/2005

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
This is very odd. . .

Well, the only thing I can think of to do would be to download the 2154 drivers from our site, then disconnect from the internet (to make sure Windows Update is not involved), then use device manager to force the devices (both USB and COM) to use the 2154 drivers you downloaded from our site.

I will have to have the fellow that worked on the Windows Update drivers take a look and see if he can duplicate the problem on our side. He will not be in until Monday though.

robo85045

Disconnected from the web, but windows must save the update somewhere, since it still immediately installed it when the lcd was plugged in after uninstalling everything...

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
Ya. You have to leave the module plugged in (let windows do whatever it wants), then "update driver" from the device manager. To do that, right-click on each of these in turn:

and do an "Update Driver", "Have Disk" and point it to the 2154 you downloaded from our site.

robo85045

Was finaly able to force it to use a specific driver. Told it to use that one, but still nothing for the 633, going to try the 635 now

<edit>
neither lcd is working, although I do have some interesting info.

After the failure of bolth lcds to work, I tried forcing the usb part of the driver to install using the manually downloaded drivers (not the one you gave to me), and around 3/4 into the install, my pc spontaneously rebooted and did a disk check. Both the usb side drivers had an error after that, claiming that windows couldn't find the files, but I had the one I attempted to update go back to windows and grab its apparently nonfunctional driver from there, and another restart later both drivers were claiming to be functional again (although both lcds still don't respond)

Last edited:

pkihome

Here is the latest for me...
I uninstalled the USB driver in the device manager and did not reinstall one and then went to the Microsoft Update website.
Microsoft Update immediatly detected no driver and downloaded and installed the new driver.
This is where it gets interesting...
Now I do not have the bootup error about Com 3, that seems to work. But the data coming out of the LCD is: }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
All right braces... Whats up with that?
If I look at the data on the Chrystalfontz LCD Settings screen the data is fine. Disk usage, Tempratures, Fan speeds, everything.

CF Tech

Administrator
Sounds like a baud rate problem. I assume it is a CFA-632 or CFA-634 ?

Look at the back, there is a little table and two switches that show the baud rate setting. Set it to 19200, and then disconenct/reconnect it. It should show 19.2K in on the boot screen.

Be sure Crystal Control matches that baud rate that is shown on the boot screen.

(To check you can use WinTest. Be sure to stop CC2 though.)

robo85045

I was able to get my 635 working by reinstalling the downloaded drivers from the site into the port driver FIRST, then installing it to the usb driver (doing it the other way around caused my pc to crash, or so it appears).
This probably confirms that it is a problem with the windows update drivers.

pkihome

Well... I think I'm just about to give up on these.
I removed the drivers in the Hardware Manager and manually installed the driver 2154... After I rebooted I got the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).... I rebooted in safe mode and re booted again and still, the BSOD.
I had to System Restore to last week...
What now?

CF Web

Administrator
Just a quick update:

We are currently investigating the driver issues and will post with further information when we have it.