Uncommunicative 634

xrix

Hi

I've been trying to make an RS232 CFA-634 communicate with my Mac via a keyspan USB->RS232 converter with little success for a while. Today I decided to rule out the Mac and the keyspan and grabbed a VT-220 and a Windows laptop from work. Using the same keyspan and cable I can talk just fine between the Mac and the VT, the PC and the Mac and the PC -> VT. I did all the comms at 19200/8/N/1, no flow control as this is how I have my 634 set.

No matter what I do I don't get a single character on the 634 (except when plugging the rs232 in while the unit is on, after using it between the other machines, some stuff left in the buffers?).

I have a 5vDC power adapter running to the +LCD, +LED and GROUND pins of J2, and an off-the=shelf RS232 cable on the DB9. The display doesn' t seem to operate at all without the J2 power connected (I thought it would operate without the backlight). Once I attach the J2 power, I get the boot screen (which confirms the 19.2k baud rate) then a flashing black cursor. No text though, no matter what port settings or what I send.

Perhaps there is some problem with the cable? Do I need to do the JPC/JPD close to make the thing be ready to receive?

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb here, so any help gratefully received.

Thanks,

-- Chris
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
My first guess would be the cable. It must be a "straight through" cable, not a "null-modem". You can check by making sure pin 2 goes to pin 2.

The Radio Shack 26-152 works (and may be available locally), as well as our own WR232Y01.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad