Suggestion: Control fans on scab from speedfan temps?

hmboy

Would that be easy to implement?

Controlling fans on a scab from a temperature other then the scab temp nodes.

It makes sense, less cables, more accurate results.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

reider

The locations Speedfan checks from are not the exact places that are needed. Close and pretty good, I personally love speedfan to bits and always have done. I have also used Speedfan to control fans prior to SCAB usage. However, the sensors connected to the SCAB and connected properly in the right place will give a far better reading. Secondly, the SCAB is an all in one solution, both software and hardware from the same developer.

Reider

junior_1967

It would be nice to be able to combine both (Temp from sensors AND temp from Everest) to control fans.
For exemple:

Take the GPU temp from Everest(better IMO than trying to pick it up with sensor on a 8800GTX)
and combine it with ambiant and case temps taken from sensors to operate a door fan to feed the
video card with more airflow. If ( Case Temp - Ambiant Temp > 0 ) and GPU temp > than XX C then
power fan. No sense feeding air in the case if case and ambiant is the same.

Could that be easily done?

CornPopz

Cant be done at all :(
SCAB speeds can only be controlled by SCAB attached temp sensors.
But couldn't this be something controlled by the software still? I used to use keystrokes to control the speed of the fans hooked up to my CF635, and later had a screen set up to do the same for one fan at a time. I don't really see why it "can't" be done.

reider

But couldn't this be something controlled by the software still? I used to use keystrokes to control the speed of the fans hooked up to my CF635, and later had a screen set up to do the same for one fan at a time. I don't really see why it "can't" be done.
The scab connects to the leads normally connected to the motherboard, if these motherboard wires are disconnected then the only place getting control is the scab itself, feeding the info to CC2. So yes thats easy to control the fans with the keyboard or the buttons on the 635. To combine with a third party you would need extra leads and the CC2 software would need to be rehashed to take in this third party solution. Not a situation that would happen, because it would take too long and result in too many irregularities. People currently have a choice, use the scab, use Speedfan, use Everest. Its specifically an 'either or' situation, not an 'and' situation. Thats my take on it anyway......

Reider

CF Mark

Administrator
Correct.
Yes, it "can" be done, but it would take a lot of work on CC2 to make it happen.
Its actually quite a bad way to control fan temps too, for quite a few reasons...

CPU temps supplied by software like SpeedFan are quite unreliable, and can depend on the motherboard type.
An example where it would be a very bad idea to control speeds this way is with motherboards that read CPU temp by using a sensor pressed up to the back of the CPU.

Also, what happens if SpeedFan locks up?
There is no way for CC2 to know if SpeedFan is reporting a correct temperature.
An example... SpeedFan locks up while your CPU is at idle, you run a game, CC2 keeps the same low fan speed due to the low temp falsely reported by SpeedFan. You burn out a CPU. Its a worst case scenario i know, but it could happen.
Where as if CC2 is directly monitoring temps and controls the fan, if CC2 locks up, the fans will spin up 100% keeping everything safe.

Another reason is that the on-die temp sensors are inaccurate and fluctuate wildly from one second to the next.
The temp reported by an on-die sensor does not represent the temperature of the overall CPU, or the temperature of the heatsink.
The heatsink is what you cool with the fan, so its the object you should monitor and base the fans speeds on.
Also having your fan speed based on on-die temp would be very annoying to listen to, as the fan speed would vary a lot frequently.