Speedfan 4.20

Jutias

Well...Still have the 100% CPU usage with 4.20.
MBM still does not wanna work.
Any suggestions?

Jutias
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
Jutias said:
Well...Still have the 100% CPU usage with 4.20.
MBM still does not wanna work.
Any suggestions?

Jutias
Check my procedure in the User Screens Forum under "MBM Screens". It is about 6 or 7 posts down. Follow those and then let me know what is happening.

Jim

reider

Also, try the three fingered salute. 'alt, ctrl and del' to see if it is Speedfan causing this. This then may temporarily afford you the option of an 'end job' on it.

Another option, if it does look like Speedfan then turn off SMART for now and see if the situation improves.

Steve

Jutias

Speedran 4.20

I'm just going to go back to CC1 and run MBM. When
Speedfan gets fixed or CC2 has some sort of support for MBM
I'll try it again.

Thanks

Jutias

CF Mark

Administrator
Oh... this might be the video card temp reading bug.
I have the same problem sometimes.

Try running speedfan with the command line switch "/NONVIDIAI2C".

jc634

Administrator
Re: Speedran 4.20

Jutias said:
I'm just going to go back to CC1 and run MBM. When
Speedfan gets fixed or CC2 has some sort of support for MBM
I'll try it again.

Thanks

Jutias
MBM is no longer being developed, so I am not sure the future of support for this program.

Did you try my procedure I mentioned earlier?

Jim

Jutias

Tried your proceedure a couple of times. No go here.
Don't know how to do the command line switch or stop
smart in speedfan.I know MBM is discontinued but at least it works.
I'm running a 6800GT so it could be the video temp.

Thanks

Jutias

reider

Jutias said:
Tried your proceedure a couple of times. No go here.
Don't know how to do the command line switch or stop
smart in speedfan.I know MBM is discontinued but at least it works.
I'm running a 6800GT so it could be the video temp.

Thanks

Jutias
Doubtful, but as a bodger extroadinaire take off the case temporarily and let a room fan play on the vid card temporarily. See if it still happens, if not then this one comes off the list-this at least gives you some peace of mind.

Command Line Switch:
Locate your shortcut to Speedfan.exe in the startup folder. Right click on it and choose properties. Where it shows the load path, an example follows

"C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe"

then change it to read

"C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe /NONVIDIAI2C"

this is what is termed 'adding a switch'. The program loads normally but throws a switch in to a predetermined deviation from the normal load to affect the video card settings. This is only necessary on certain motherboards, not all.

EDIT: This switch can also be achieved from the 'run' command, via the start button but is more of a temporary nature than amending the shortcut properties.

Steve

Last edited:

Jutias

I didn't mean the video card temp itseft. It reads 48 C in
nvidia temp reading. I run HL2 maxed and not a burp.
I meant the reading in CC2. How do you disable that and
smart in CC2 ?

Jutias

reider

Jutias said:
I didn't mean the video card temp itseft. It reads 48 C in
nvidia temp reading. I run HL2 maxed and not a burp.
I meant the reading in CC2. How do you disable that and
smart in CC2 ?

Jutias
The vid card temp should be fixed with the switch CC gave and I explained above. The SMART feature can be turned off in the bios. The reason I suggested doing this temporarily follows

Speedfan works well with most motherboards, though not all. On some the continuous enquiries about the state of the SMART setup on HDD`s sends the CPU Usage to 100%. By turning it off temporarily you can judge if this is the cause, if not then it is one more item off your list.

The three fingered salute is another method, by bringing up the task manager to detect if it is indeed Speedfan that is causing the problem. Anything non-crucial can have an 'end job' performed on it to determine if this fixes the fault. If this doesn`t work then its another item off the list-but may point definatively to the problem. The three fingered salute is one of the best features I ever found on a computer, it gets you out of all sorts of messes. NOTE TO SELF: Do not mention registry hacks, heh heh!

Steve

CF Tech

Administrator
As an alternative to using the "three finger salute (Ctrl + Alt + Del)", and then clicking "Task Manager", use "Ctrl + Shift + Esc" to get there in one step.

reider

CF Tech said:
As an alternative to using the "three finger salute (Ctrl + Alt + Del)", and then clicking "Task Manager", use "Ctrl + Shift + Esc" to get there in one step.
Tried that, they both do exactly the same here..... ;) Only formatted a few days ago so no extra key presses added. Tried both a few times, same task, same window, same place.

EDIT: I think I vaguely know where you`re coming from, theirs another shortcut that shows stuff like networking, config.sys, autoexec.bat etc. Bet thats the one that has an indirect route to Task Manager. Not used that one for a long time now.

Steve

Last edited: