SimLCD

Do you want a SimLCD for CC2?

• Yes, of course! I'm a poor geek.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No way! Buy the module(s) like I did.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not necessary, it's already been done.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

andrep74

I haven't bought a CrystalFontz display yet, but I'm considering the 631 due to space considerations. I currently have the original CrystalControl software installed and am using the SimLCD module to "kinda" get a feel for what is possible, but 1) it doesn't display in an LCD font or color that's close to the actual display and 2) it doesn't appear to support special module fonts or graphics. **Note that I've only begun to play around with it, as I'm sure both of these could be possible.

What would be nice would be for CC2 to have a true simulated screen; simulated buttons and temp sensors would be really cool as well. If a virtual device approach is taken, one could also have multiple SimLCD modules. This would allow for visualizing multiple LCD modules stacked on top of/next to each other, as could be done in cases with unused bays.

Having user pics of displays does not do the Crystalfontz modules any justice at all...people need to see these things in action! If a SimLCD is done right, it could look as good as the real thing, and could be a great marketing tool.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
I have been thinking about bringing the SimLCD to CrystalControl2.

The screen-editor which is under development is already close to being a simulated LCD as it does support the true LCD fonts, custom characters, etc.

There are quite a few complications in building this into CC2, the main one being CC2 runs as a service and as such cannot display anything to a logged in users display.
Ill see if i can come up with a solution to this.

andrep74

CrystalControl Admin said:
I have been thinking about bringing the SimLCD to CrystalControl2.

The screen-editor which is under development is already close to being a simulated LCD as it does support the true LCD fonts, custom characters, etc.

There are quite a few complications in building this into CC2, the main one being CC2 runs as a service and as such cannot display anything to a logged in users display.
Ill see if i can come up with a solution to this.
I'll see how hard it would be to create a "virtual USB" device driver. With a centralized control program, one could add USB devices (like when a user plugs in a thumb drive), at which point the CC2 service would be able to "control" it. The virtual device only needs to react to the data sent to it via the virtual USB port (and could, of course, send data back to simulate ID, SCAB, buttons, etc.)

CF Mark

Administrator
andrep74 said:
I'll see how hard it would be to create a "virtual USB" device driver. With a centralized control program, one could add USB devices (like when a user plugs in a thumb drive), at which point the CC2 service would be able to "control" it. The virtual device only needs to react to the data sent to it via the virtual USB port (and could, of course, send data back to simulate ID, SCAB, buttons, etc.)
It would be very difficult to do that.

Heffo

My thought would be the following.

An non-service exe sitting in the tray communicating with the CC2 service via one of a few methods I can think of.

A Named Pipe
Shared Memory
TCP/IP

I think a named pipe would be easiest to implement, but TCP/IP would make things interesting by the user being able to run the SimLCD on different machines across a lan or even possibly the internet. Think of it as a neat way to stream the system stats of a box you left running at home while you are on your holidays overseas.