Seti@home on LCD display in Windows?

jhaislet

Hi, I have the 634 LCD display and was wanting to post the results and info from the Seti@home program. I know someone wrote a unix/linux program for it, but has anyone heard of a windows program that does this? Seti@home has a file called state.sah and user_info.sah which has all the text data that would need to be sent to the LCD. I am new to programing and have no idea how to extract certian parts of a file. If anyone could lend me some assistance or guideance that would be awesome. I know there are a lot of windows users who run seti@home and would like to output the progress to their LCD.

Thanks,

John Haislet
jhaislet@tamu.edu
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jhaislet

If there is anything I can do/help with, let me know. Is there an easy way to convert C or perl from unix to pc? Or is the entire programing structure different between the 2 OS's?

CF Mark

Administrator
You mean from UNIX to Windows :)

Not really... C is C code no matter what OS its on, but it may need changes to make it work with the OS (if that makes sense).

Perl is an interpreted scripting language, so really there is no use for it under Windows, hence not much support for it.

Ive never used Seti before (im used to rc5).... so do you have any info on the data stored in those two files?

Edit: Also, what information do you want to be able to display on the LCD?

Last edited:

jhaislet

Here is the link to the site where the unix version of the program is.
http://www.niemueller.de/software/perl/seti-lcd/

http://www.niemueller.de/software/perl/seti-lcd/

There are either 1-2 output files from the seti program that have the data needed. ie: inside the state.sah file, this value is present: prog=0.18985581 which is the program status of the current work packet. Above represents 18.9%. There is also a value that represents time, in seconds that the cpu has been working on current packet. cpu=21076.7168 which is in seconds, which would needed to be divided by 3600 to get the hours in decimil form. The above would about 5.85 hrs. The unix version of this program is in perl, and there are 2 different screens, one displays the progress, in %, the other displays work units compleated and time last results were submitted. All of this enfo can be extracted from 2 files, state.sah, and user_info.sah

CF Mark

Administrator
Thanks...
Yeh, i worked out all that after looking at a windows util called 'Seti@Home-Log".
I see no problem with supporting it.

jhaislet

So how would we go about making the program? It doesn't seem like there would be much to it since seti produces the data. We just need the program to extract, and then send the data to the serial port, correct?

CF Mark

Administrator
Well ill add it to my current LCD application which should be released quite soon (after limited public beta testing).

But yeh... it is as easy as that.

jhaislet

Could I be part of the limited beta testing? I've got 3 different windows OS's between my computers (WinXP Pro, Win2k, Win98se) I could use it with each, and see if I find anything. Thanks a bunch for including this feature in your app. This will make your application very unique for the windows platform. If possible, could you e-mail me at jhaislet@tamu.edu with the beta when it is ready for testing? Thanks, and Great Job.

John Haislet
jhaislet@tamu.edu
College Station, Texas

CF Mark

Administrator
Well ill remeber you for when we start the testing... not sure when that will be as yet though.

BTW, ive now built in the Seti@Home support...

It can display:
CPU Time Completed
CPU Time Remaining
Output File Position
Progress
Strongest Peak - Power
Strongest Peak - Score
Best Gausian - Power
Best Gausian - Score
Best Pulse - Power
Best Pulse - Score
Best Tripplet - Power
Best Tripplet - Score

anything im missing?

jhaislet

If you want to put personal stats in the program that would be awesome. There is a file called user_info.sah that has each uses personal info. Here are the main ones:
example: here is my account: This info is updated each time a work packet is compleated.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?email=jhaislet@tamu.edu&cmd=user_stats_new

this is from user_info.sah that is found in the seti folder on each computer.

total_cpu=25890336.77 this is in seconds, so divide by 3600 and it will give you the hours of work. At this moment, Im at 7191.76 hours of cpu time.

nresults=568 is the number of work units I have compleated. So, according to this log file, I have compleated 568 work units. This is updated each time a new work unit is recieved by the seti@home servers in california. Real-time info for this figure can be found at seti's web site, under my account (above link) but I don't thing it would be nessisary to include results received in real time over the internet. I think just getting the results received from the text file the client is on would be enough. Every time a work unit is done, all of the info in the text files are updated from the seti server. EX: for a 500mhz machine, this is about every 12-14 hrs. On a 1.0ghz machine, its about every 6-7 hours. These are the overall stats. The rest of the stats, your program pulls from the text files seti creates on the client computer, which are updated all the time by the seti client. OK, I know this is long, and may not make compleate sence, so let me know if you have any questions about it. Thanks

John Haislet
jhaislet@tamu.edu

BasieP

okay i have this perfectly done now, but no-one is helping me to make my driver, so you will never have LCD smartie to have CF support.

now, i have a driver, but my test persons all say that he doesnt work
please check the topic i opent a while ago

(delphi driver)

zouo

LCDProc is available for Windows. The add-on that generates the Seti@home stats is a Perl script so theoretically it shouldn't be too hard to port it to windows if you had Perl installed.

It's neat in Linux but I never got the progress bar to display correctly: