Serial 634 will not work on Win7 x64

xagor

Hello,

I'm having problems getting CrystalControl2 working on my Windows x64 machine. I have an older serial 634 LCD. It works perfectly on Windows 32bit machine but can not get it to work on 64 bit. I have downloaded the latest software version. Com settings on both machines are identical at Com1 baudrate 19200. I've seen many references for USB version on x64 but can not find one for the serial version. Any help would be appreciated.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Double check your COM port number in the Win7 Device Manager.
If it is correct and you still cannot get it working, it may be caused by an incorrect BIOS setting, or motherboard driver.
Neither CrystalControl2 or the display itself will be the cause of your problem.

CF Mark

Administrator
That might help if it was a USB module.
No Crystalfontz drivers are required for serial modules.

Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit) should have motherboard serial port drivers included. If not, you'll need to get them from the motherboard manufacturer.

xagor

That might help if it was a USB module.
No Crystalfontz drivers are required for serial modules.

Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit) should have motherboard serial port drivers included. If not, you'll need to get them from the motherboard manufacturer.
Thanks for the replies. I've doubled checked the Comports it is at Com 1 setting. The motheroard has only 1 com port. I've got the latest drivers for the motherboard. Just to add, the LCD is displaying the bootstate but not refreshing. I can restart the LCD using CC2 and it will reboot properly but again just showing the last bootstate after rebooting itself . So, at least it is somewhat communicating. Is there a log for the software to see where the disconnect is?

Just for additional test, I re-connected it back to my Win7 32bit machine and it works perfectly with the exact same setting.

CF Support2

Administrator
What is the pin out from your motherboard?
I have a CFA634 serial connected to several Win7 x64 machines at work - using either the external DB9 or internal 0.100" header - without any issues. There may be a pin out difference between the two systems.

xagor

What is the pin out from your motherboard?
I have a CFA634 serial connected to several Win7 x64 machines at work - using either the external DB9 or internal 0.100" header - without any issues. There may be a pin out difference between the two systems.
Serial Port Header (Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3)

09 * * * * * 1
10 _ * * * * 2

Pin. Definition
1 NDCD-
2 NSIN
3 NSOUT
4 NDTR-
5 GND
6 NDSR-
7 NRTS-
8 NCTS-
9 NRI-
10 No Pin

CF Support2

Administrator
I think I see what's going on.

What cable are you using to connect from the MB to the module?

It looks like the cable you need is our WR232Y23:

http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/WR232Y23

Drawing:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/document/1902/WR232Y23.pdf

This cable supports the alternative pin out and a straight through. The DB9 end will connect to the CFA634 KS, and you'll want to connect the C3 housing (on the end) to the system board. Make sure that the red wire goes towards pin 1.

Shoot and a email to support@crystalfontz.com referencing this thread -- we'll get you taken care of.