S3 resume not working on 635 (no scab).

NickW

Hi,

I have a 635, and after resuming from S3 (XP) the display is in it's boot state.

If I go into CC2 from the sys tray the 'restart CC2' button is active (i.e. I can press it). Once pressed CC2 runs correctly.

This is a problem for me as it's an HTPC, and it's always going into S3, so I need CC2 to restart on its own when the system resumes.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Nick.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
First, sorry for the slow reply.

I have made some changes to the suspend/resume code of CC2 which might fix the problem.
If they don't, it also has some extra logging to help track down the problem.

The changes will be in the next public release of CC2 which should be up in the next few days.

NickW

Thanks for that, I look forward to it.

One more thing which may be of help. The CC2 tray icon still shows the count (times it's updated the display I think), and that is still increasing, it's just not showing on the display.

Regards,

Nick.

NickW

CrystalControl Admin said:
First, sorry for the slow reply.

I have made some changes to the suspend/resume code of CC2 which might fix the problem.
If they don't, it also has some extra logging to help track down the problem.

The changes will be in the next public release of CC2 which should be up in the next few days.
Hi,

It still does not work. Is there some debug stuff you want me to send?

Just FYI: When the system restarts (after S3) CC2 is working before power is restored to the display. CC2 is still counting up (the sys tray bit that shows the number of display updates), but the display is still off.

After a few seconds power is restored to the display, and it shows its boot screen. CC2 never updates the display until it is restarted, then it's fine.

Rgards,

Nick.

CF Mark

Administrator
NickW said:
After a few seconds power is restored to the display, and it shows its boot screen. CC2 never updates the display until it is restarted, then it's fine.
Ah, i see.

So how long after the desktop/login appears does the LCD power up?

On my laptop its pretty much instant.

NickW

Ah, i see.

So how long after the desktop/login appears does the LCD power up?

On my laptop its pretty much instant.
It's the desktop, as I don't have password on resume set. I'd say once the desktop appears it's maybe another 5 seconds.

I would think an easy way to sort this is to restart the service on resume (if you can test for that).

Regards,

Nick.

CF Mark

Administrator
NickW said:
It's the desktop, as I don't have password on resume set. I'd say once the desktop appears it's maybe another 5 seconds.

I would think an easy way to sort this is to restart the service on resume (if you can test for that).
Thats exactly what it does at the moment, just that it waits 1sec before doing so.

Ill extend that to 10sec, that should be enough for everyone.

CF Mark

Administrator
Ok, give the attached update a try.

Youll need to go into the windows task manager and kill the "cc2_service" before copying the new file over the old one.

Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

NickW

Ok, give the attached update a try.

Youll need to go into the windows task manager and kill the "cc2_service" before copying the new file over the old one.

Let me know how it goes.
Hi,

Thanks for the file, however it didn't work.

I've done some more timings and this is what happens with the new service exe:

If the CC2 service is not running when the PC goes into S3 then when it resumes the display takes ~4 seconds to come back on. It then sits there with the default boot screen.

If the CC2 service is running (with the new exe) when the PC goes into S3 then when it resumes the display takes ~10 seconds to come back on. It then sits there with the default boot screen.

From the above it would appear that CC2, when running, keeps the display off until it restarts, which is then too late.

Any more ideas?

TIA,

Nick.

NickW

Hi,

That fixed it, thank you :)

Just FYI, so you know it's working the way you expect:

Timeline:
0s Press power button
~5s Machine usable
~7s LCD powered
~17s CC2 working

Regards,

Nick.

CF Mark

Administrator
Thats pretty much dead on what i would expect :)

While a 10sec delay is quite long, i think ill leave it at that as its better than being too short.

NickW

Thats pretty much dead on what i would expect :)

While a 10sec delay is quite long, i think ill leave it at that as its better than being too short.
Works for me :)

Cheers,

Nick.

NickW

Hi,

Another problem:

After the PC has been in suspend for more than ~5 hours, when it resumes CC2 is in the stopped state. The button in CC2 says START, not RESTART.

Restarting CC2 works fine. Checking Services shows CC2Service as STARTED.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Nick.

CF Mark

Administrator
Well i cant think of any reason why length of time while suspended would effect CC2 waking up.

The only thing i can suggest is that you turn on NOTICE logging and then the next time it occours attach a zip of the log files in here.

To turn on NOTICE logging, edit "logprefs.ini" and change the "file_level" line to equal "1".
Youll then need to kill the cc2_service in the task manager and then restart it (or just reboot the PC).