Robot Project

matrixum

Hey everyone, I would first like to say that it is awsome i stumbled across this website. I have been so eager to get into the LCD relm. With that said....

I am an electronic and computer engineer in the making. This coming semester we start a robot project. The robot will follow a line on the floor and perform various tasks and encounter obsticales along the way such as( a break in the line). I really want to put an LCD screen on it so i can show some data and possibly a graphical representation of the track it is on.

I may be limited though. The hardware that we have available to us is a bit arcahic, but it is a great learning tool. We will be using the Intel 8088 microprocessor and have up to xilinx 95108 cpld for anything we want to use it for.

The main thing is that a 5Mhz clock comes out from the MicroProc. and I only have a 1mg of memory.

So if there are any suggestions of which type of LCD to go with, I would like it to be fairly large, but i have to keep in mind of wieght as there is a competition of robots at the end of semester.

Cheers Guys
Matrixum
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
Even at 5MHz, there is plenty of horsepower to work a monochrome LCD.

For a graphic, take a look at the CFAG12864BTMIV. It is big enough to be visible, but still reasonably light.

Be aware that talking to a graphic display is a pretty good software task. You would probably want to consider a graphic library from http://www.ramtex.dk or http://www.easygui.com .

You could also use any of the character LCD modules.

If you have a serial port, the serial LCD modules will be the easiest to use.

The character and serial modules both give up graphics, but you can make up some limited graphic functionality by using their custom characters.

matrixum

What are the crucial factors that I have to be careful with, when it comes to the LCD screens being ruined. I would hate to build my robot and all then then place the LCD screen on my newly printed PCB and watch 32 bucks go down the drain. I have read the data sheet and understand the all the voltage specs are. But when it comes to building PCB boards our selves I have yet to build on that works first shot. So i am nervous i will burn the LCD.

Cheers for ur responce.

CF Tech

Administrator
There are basically two groups of connections to the LCD. Data and power supplies.

Assuming that you are connecting the Data pins to your micro, and the micro is 5v, then those should be safe.

Tell me what display you have in mind, and I can give you some pointers on the power supplies.

matrixum

Well i have been looking at this one so i can implement the graphical options CFAG12864BTMIV. However, I also looked at just a character LCD screen CFAH2004L-NYA-EP. I would like to have 4 lines avaible so i can show different data on each line.

matrixum

Ok so I have purchased the CFAG12864B-TMI-V and have started to build a test board to of course test my new graphic lcd. And I have a question, as I am still new to the realm of engineering. I connected Vcc to one pin of my Variable Resistor, and I connect the 3rd pin to Vee, and of course i conneted Vo to pin 2 of the veriable resistor.
Code:
              Vo
               |
               |
              \/
Vcc ------>\/\/\/\/<--------Vee
will this work.? I saw in a diagram on the net some on had replaced Vcc OR VDD with Vss. I am not sure why they would do that. Anyways some any support on how to wire this thing up would be greatly appreciated.

Turnes out I will be using a SAB 80C515 microcontroller for the robot. But before that I will be placing the LCD for test onto a 8088 Microproccessor test minimum system practice board. And that board is connected by a DIN 64 A/C R and i am gonna use a 8 bit I/0 port and a 6 bit I/O port to handle all communication.

so mainly my question is how to set up the connection for contrast?:confused:

Thanks for the help guys
Matrixum

edy71

Intel 8088

Hello ,

I am sorry to disturb you , but I saw here something about Intel 8088 , and this processor is a big problem for me .
I have a Siemens T 1200 TELEX PRINTER with a ''fried ''(burned) SAB 8088 and I can't find 8088 on the Romanian market.
Could you help me PLEASE with equivalents of SAB 8088 (Intel 8088) or with some sites from where I can buy it??

Thank you .

By the way ,I am from Bucharest,Romania,Europe.