• We recently switched our forum platform. If you experience any issues please email support@crystalfontz.com

Questions

H8ter

New member
I have a couple real quick questions.

Do I need to know C++ to create screens? Is there the ability to just scroll plain text without programming knowledge?

Please tell me I am missing something.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.
 

daks001

New member
H8ter said:
I have a couple real quick questions.

Do I need to know C++ to create screens? Is there the ability to just scroll plain text without programming knowledge?

Please tell me I am missing something.
In the user customized 631 screens reider posted a little screen setup that will scroll plain text.

C++ knowledge, no, not required at all. The screens are a custom "script language" just for cc2.
If I get a little bit frisky I'll see if I can dig up my previous post or post another (Unsanctioned use at your own risk) description of the screen sript format description. The it's just figuring out what all the different plugins need.
It's not for the faint of heart to create your own screens but it is no where near as complicated as writing a program in C++.

;)
 

H8ter

New member
I actually have a 634. Thanks for the reply.

Figured that I can open .2004 files using notepad..... I should have it completly screwed up in about 3 hours.
 

daks001

New member
H8ter said:
I actually have a 634. Thanks for the reply.

Figured that I can open .2004 files using notepad..... I should have it completly screwed up in about 3 hours.
That is the must fun of all! ;)

reider's screens will still work as a basis for what you want with the scrolling text lines. Some things you'll have to edit are;

From the Mytext_center.2002 file for example

after the pre at the top;
the rows= 2 change that to a 4

leave these lines;

[r00]
options=5

[r00-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 1 of the LCD?"

[r01]
options=5

[r01-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 2 of the LCD?"

Now add these lines...

[r02]
options=5

[r02-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 3 of the LCD?"

[r03]
options=5

[r03-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 4 of the LCD?"

Now save it with a .2004 extension vs the original .2002 extension. And you should be all set. I can't test this here as I only have a 631 (for now, grin).

Hope this helps...
 

jc634

Administrator
H8ter,

Perhaps you can tell us what you want to do and daks (who understands the neat things to do better than me:) ) and I can help you out.

Belgarius and reider are a couple of other resources to use.

And, of course, CrystalControl Admin knows it all!!!

Jim
 

jc634

Administrator
[r00] : text to appear on Line 1

options=5 : Scrolling text option (correct, daks?)

[r00-i00] : Line 1 1st sting to display

[r00-i01] : Line 1 2nd string to display

string=: what you want to display

Is that cryptic enough?:)

Jim
 

jc634

Administrator
daks,

Your example works fine on a 634.

BTW, H8ter, using the ! at the beginning of a string tells CC2 to ask for a user input prompt. If the text you want to display is known (or static), delete the !.

Jim
 

daks001

New member
jc634 said:
[r00] : text to appear on Line 1

options=5 : Scrolling text option (correct, daks?)

Is that cryptic enough?:)

Jim
I *think* options=5 for a row (not an item) means scrolling center.

CCAdmin?

; -- ROW OPTIONS
;ROW_SCROLL 0x01
;ROW_BOUNCE 0x02
;ROW_CENTER 0x04
;ROW_SCENTER 0x08

Have not played with that too much.
Will play later when I have more time.
Just got a 10 hotswap bay Clariion Raid server case that could probably fit 3 standard PC's in it (still in their cases!). Going to make a real fancy system out of it. Just finished gutting it and am now making the removeable motherboard trays. Still have to cut allot more steel out of this things as it weighs over 100lbs! Will be adding some more Crystalfontz displays to the case to monitor the raid servers in it. (will probably have a total of 5 systems in there when it's done, 2 servers and 3 PC's, 10 UW SCSI hd's and 5 IDE's then either 5-10 SCSI FC hardrives, I will used the 2 hotswap power supplies to feed the disk drives and the servers, 3 standard ATX power supplies for the PC's will also fit in there easy, and there is still lots of room!) I hope my hydro meter does not turn into a fan when all this turns on though. LOL
 

H8ter

New member
wow.... so much to learn. I am gonna give it a shot to see what I can accomplish on my own, before I trouble you guys with it.

I may have no choice but to ask for help. So, be patient with me.
 

daks001

New member
jc634 said:
daks,

Your example works fine on a 634.

Jim
Cool, kind-of reminds me of when I had to program robots back at my plant in Canada when they had me over in Europe. I did not want to do it, but would log in through there WAN and change the program's script language (normally would just use teach mode when I was there) without ever being able to see the results of what I did. I would tell by boss that this was a bad idea and even asked him one time to take the phone over to the line where the robot was and hold up the phone (he was not too bright sometimes) as I executed the reset and start command. I guess someone asked him what he was doing so he got back on the phone and asked why I had him doing this, I told him that I wanted to find out if my program worked, he said that I could not see what the robot was doing so what good was this? I replied that I would still either hear the robot running or some very load bangs, crunches and screams if it didn't.... LOL
 

jc634

Administrator
daks001 said:

Just got a 10 hotswap bay Clariion Raid server case that could probably fit 3 standard PC's in it (still in their cases!). Going to make a real fancy system out of it. Just finished gutting it and am now making the removeable motherboard trays. Still have to cut allot more steel out of this things as it weighs over 100lbs! Will be adding some more Crystalfontz displays to the case to monitor the raid servers in it. (will probably have a total of 5 systems in there when it's done, 2 servers and 3 PC's, 10 UW SCSI hd's and 5 IDE's then either 5-10 SCSI FC hardrives, I will used the 2 hotswap power supplies to feed the disk drives and the servers, 3 standard ATX power supplies for the PC's will also fit in there easy, and there is still lots of room!) I hope my hydro meter does not turn into a fan when all this turns on though. LOL
OMG, is that for work or home? Based upon the servers they use where I work, that thing will probably sound like a jet engine when you do turn it on:D !!!

Jim
 

daks001

New member
jc634 said:
OMG, is that for work or home? Based upon the servers they use where I work, that thing will probably sound like a jet engine when you do turn it on:D !!!

Jim
Home :D

I know what you mean about the noise, It has 3 120mm 24V fans on the back!
 

reider

New member
H8ter said:
wow.... so much to learn. I am gonna give it a shot to see what I can accomplish on my own, before I trouble you guys with it.

I may have no choice but to ask for help. So, be patient with me.
If you get really stuck then give a shout. I can rewrite it exactly as you wish for your model. The only thing is I would write blind, that is not be able to test directly. You could test though.

Steve
 

reider

New member
Ok, thx for the start on the 634 model Daks. Here is the full code in case H8ter gets stuck. I was working on this but the original question pre empted it.

Ok pop pickers, here is the 634 model with scrolling text, anyone feeling like a guinnea pig? Currently, 1st line static, 2nd line scrolls, 3rd n 4th static. Unless you exceed 20 characters on any line, in which case it may scroll too. Don`t know what happens if you try n scroll more than one line at a time (edit instances of options to 7 under R00, R01, R02, R03 to play with this. Enter a space in the required text entry box to make that line blank. That should about cover it. Remove the screen and re-add to change the text to something else. Static and permanant text screens (manually entered as per my 631 model) to follow, when this is tested.

I haven`t tested this. I haven`t even seen it as I don`t have a 634 to test on, its written `blind`. If anyone can give me a full report then this would help before releasing it and other derivatives as per the 631 model.

EDIT: Due to an extra zero problem diagnosed by JC I`ve now attached a new file @ midnight on 20.12.04 Thanks again Jim

Steve
 

Attachments

Last edited:

jc634

Administrator
reider,

Change:


[r003-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 4 of the LCD?"

to:


[r03-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 4 of the LCD?"

You have an extra 0:)

Jim
 

reider

New member
Thx Jim, if you get time can you tell me what happens when more than one line is selected for scrolling. On my 631 it only seems to scroll one line at a time even tho both have the same setting. I wondered what the comparison would be with the 634, so I can point it out in the instructions.

Steve
 

jc634

Administrator
Using the corrected routine, I entered long amounts of gibberish:D on each line and each line scrolls quite nicely.

I have not tried the 631 version, so I don't know. i'll just modify your 634 code and be back in a bit.

Jim
 

jc634

Administrator
Just modified 634 code as follows for the 631:

[pre]
rows=2
cols=20

[screen]
screen_name="Mytext631_scroll"
options=0
alt_delay=5000

[r00]
options=5

[r00-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 1 of the LCD?"

[r01]
options=7

[r01-i00]
string="!What is the text you wish in line 2 of the LCD?"

Worked just fine. Both lines scrolled quite nicely. What is option=7 supposed to do, anyway.

Jim
 

reider

New member
Option 7 should give the scroll if less than 20 characters. If more than 20 characters it scrolls anyway regardless of the option (all moves one right or is it left?), hence running man does the Marathon/Olympics heh heh!

Steve
 
Top