question about keypad and screen jumping

ehall

I am using my 635 to monitor a VMware server and specifically sampling a bunch of perfmon stats for stuff like host cpu/dsk/net activity and similar stuff for each of the virtual machines (using VMware WMI counter).

So what I've got is a big list of menus:

Host overview
CPU0 histogram
CPU1 histogram
RAM histogram
Swap histogram
Disk0 histogram
Disk1 histogram
Lan0 histogram
VM-1 overview
VM-1 RAM
VM-1 Disk
VM-1 Lan
VM-2 overview
VM-2 RAM
... all the way through ...
VM-8 LAN

I want to make a logical grid out of this so that I can scroll vertically through each system, and horizontally through the stats for each system. For example, if I am looking at the disk utilization of VM-1 and press the Up arrow, skip to the screen that has the disk utilization for the host machine, or press down to go to VM-2 disk utilization. Meanwhile, pressing the right arrow would take me to the network utilization screen for the current host, and so forth. Basically, turn the big vertical list into a grid:

Code:
Host CPU0 CPU1 RAM Swap Dsk0 Dsk1 Net0
VM-1 ---- ---- RAM ---- Disk ---- Net
VM-2 ---- ---- RAM ---- Disk ---- Net
VM-2 ---- ---- RAM ---- Disk ---- Net
Do I need to program each screen's key handling explicitly for this?

Keep in mind that each system has a variable number of horizontal entries

Also, has anybody put together a menu system that would be appropriate for this?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
ehall said:
Do I need to program each screen's key handling explicitly for this?

Also, has anybody put together a menu system that would be appropriate for this?
1. At the moment, yes.

2. Not that I am aware of. Many of the Winamp screen have screen/keypad specific commands, tho.

If you need some help doing this, upload your ini files and exactly what you want to do.

Jim

CF Mark

Administrator
It can be done, but itll be pretty messy :(
I dont think anyone has tried to do this yet.

Youll need to have 4 events per screen.
Left key goes back one screen, right key goes forward one screen, up key goes to header screen for previous machine, down key goes to header screen for next machine.

ehall

I'll do it the hard way for now.

As architectural point, however, it might be worth doing a 2-D space for layouts in the future. Some kind of double hex notation for screen names maybe (like 00FF = row zero, column 255) with default column of zero if the full address is unqualified.

ehall

How do you specify jump N screens?

I am trying to use the following at the global level and will just override the few screens that are different but it's not working

Code:
[m00-event00]
if_type=1
if=3242854028
cond=0
to=1
do_type=9
do=-4.000000

[m00-event01]
if_type=1
if=3242854028
cond=0
to=32
do_type=9
do=4.000000

[m00-event02]
if_type=1
if=3242854028
cond=0
to=8
do_type=9
do=-1.000000

[m00-event03]
if_type=1
if=3242854028
cond=0
to=16
do_type=9
do=1.000000
That should be: Up -4 screens, Dn +4 screens, left -1 screen, right +1 screen. But the "4" is being ignored and everything is just moving one screen at a time.

ehall

+/-4 doesn't work inside the screen defs either.

I applied literal addressing to the cc2_service.ini just to get it done (leaving the screen defs alone for now) and it works pretty well. Took a couple of hours--38 screens with half of them having two explicit defs (up 4, dn 4), and the other half three explict defs (left +3 wrap, right -3 wrap). Only made two typos in the copy/paste edits... :D

I also mapped the X key to home/screen0 so I can get back to the host health overview screen easily

I want to use reverse-highlighting for the menuing system but can't seem to find anything similar. Is there a shorthand for doing this?

ehall

FYI, relative addressing (eg, -1 or +4) will "stack" whenever they are combined. For example, if you define -1 for "left" at the global level, and then define -3 for "left" within a screen, you will get a sum of -4 when you press the left arrow button in that screen.

Dunno if this is as-designed or not but FYI for people doing this stuff.

I'm using relative addressing at the global level and explicit addressing at the screen level, to minimize confusion.