Programming question (RE: AIM)

timid1

Hi everyone,

I'm an aspiring student right now and would like very much to write my own serial LCD driver program. One of the features that I would really like to have is the capability to list two or three of the most recent messages received by buddies on my AOL Instant Messenger buddy list. I've seen people ask why this would be useful. Let's say I'm playing a full-screen game such as Unreal Tournament 2003. Fragging away, but at the same time, I am waiting for a important message from one of my friends. If it pops up, I want to be able to know! :)

I know how to output characters to the screen and have successfully written a basic "hello world" and bootscreen program. So, my question is: using Visual Basic, can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to getting my program to communicate with AIM???

I know the saying: RTFM... but I have and google hasn't been too much of a help on this. So, someone ... please ... help me. :)
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Sorry, i cant help.... but good luck.
Getting information on how to access data from other software was the most difficult thing to do when writing CrystalControl.

CF Support

Administrator
You might try talking to the guys over at Cerulean Studios (who wrote Trillian, an excellent IM program, IMO), as they're communicating with the AIM network.

You can find their contact us page at: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/about/contact.html

I don't know how receptive they'll be to giving out code, or for that matter Visual Basic, but they may have some suggestions for you.

timid1

CF Support said:
You might try talking to the guys over at Cerulean Studios (who wrote Trillian, an excellent IM program, IMO), as they're communicating with the AIM network.

You can find their contact us page at: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/about/contact.html

I don't know how receptive they'll be to giving out code, or for that matter Visual Basic, but they may have some suggestions for you.
Muchas gracias, CF Support! You guys definitely rock. ;)

Americanfreak

I do belive that you would have to use trillian pro......a guy over at jaLCDs has written a plug-in for trillian and they have one for ICQ. I use the plug-in and it works great, but you do have to use jaLCDs.

The dudes handle is andy666. Get in touch with him. he seems like a guy that would like to help others. He has helped me a few time on setting things up.

timid1

Americanfreak said:
I do belive that you would have to use trillian pro......a guy over at jaLCDs has written a plug-in for trillian and they have one for ICQ. I use the plug-in and it works great, but you do have to use jaLCDs.

The dudes handle is andy666. Get in touch with him. he seems like a guy that would like to help others. He has helped me a few time on setting things up.
I'd have to say that jaLCDs is crap because for the life of me I can't get it to work properly on my system at all. It's not easy to install like CrystalControl is. I'm counting the days until CC v2 is released... but until then, I'll just have to write my own program. ;) Thanks for the help.

Americanfreak

CRAP!?
My friend you must use something before you can judge it.

You can check up to 9 email accounts

Just about every MBM monitor (CC does do High and Low
:) )

Screen sweeps Up, Down, Left, Right even a Matrix type

Bargraphs

Fullscreen clocks

Moving icons

etc......

Try downloading the new version

I do love my CC software. I switch back and forth all the time.
I only use CC on my second LCD.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D