OLED just died

ejorris

Hi,

I've had a 2x20 OLED display mounted in a HTPC case for approx one week and it has worked just fine. Then suddenly yesterday evening, when I was working with Girder (not really with any display stuff) it just died... totally black. My first guess was some software problem but it still didnt work with other software either. The thing is that my homade HTPC case gets rather hot (I was just about installing a separate fan for that...) . Anyone who has had problems with OLEDs just dying like that, possibly bye high temperature?

Is OLED more fragile than LCDs....

/Jörgen
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

ejorris

Hi,

I used a 10k adjustable resistance from 5.0V returning some value between 0-5V. I'm not sure exactly what voltage I had on the Vbt, but when I now read the spec which state "2.5V in order for long life" I realize that it might have been more then that.

Can you confirm that if I feed Vbt with more then 3V, perhaps 3.5-4V it might only be functional for less than 100h.

For how long would it be functional if Vbt is set "correctly" to 2.5V? Is it better to use a common backlit LCD display for longer life expectancy?

/Jörgen

CF Tech

Administrator
Certainly the longest lived display would be a yellow-green (or green or amber or red) backlit display. These have lifetimes of about 100K hours (10 years).

The white LED backlit modules are on the order of 10K+ hours (they are getting better).

The lifetime vs. brightness on the PLEDs is a trade off, brighter is shorter.

I would expect it to fail gradually though . . . . not all at once. Sudden complete failure might be something else.