Obd-ii?

x-dash

Anyone discovered software to show output from an OBD-II car diagnostics tool on a LCD screen? Now THAT would be handy!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Dive Fox

x-dash said:
Anyone discovered software to show output from an OBD-II car diagnostics tool on a LCD screen? Now THAT would be handy!
I puttered with an interface to connect a mini-itx computer to the OBD-II. I managed to do $1909 in damage to the wiring of my 1999 Police Interceptor. So, the first task would be getting someone to design an interface to the OBD-II, and then formatting it for the cfontz display should be a piece of cake.

firstrax

I just sent my board files to the proto shop for such a device. It uses a 2x20 lcd and can interface with all 4 OBD formats. I should have it built and working in about two weeks. I'll post a pic and details when done.

joeservo

or go to bb-electronics website and purchase a j1850 to rs-232 converter. attached this t othe 633 with oyur own firmware, voila.

easier said than done.

cocokiwi

x-dash said:

OK! can be done! a small chip (PIC chip) called the "ELF"

www.elmelectronics.com

They have THREE versions of the chip..you must know which one you have on the car!

You can buy the Board with chip and cable! And you can get a kit of the chip and crystal....using this you make a Pc board with the ELM and Stamp..and the connector for the cable(26pin serial)
a dual connection to the Rs232 in/outputs on the ELF gives you a output for a laptop,I,m thinking of a stamp feed,so one can change the Info sent to the Display! the idea of the setup is to get rid of the laptop when you are using the device!

connect this to a Stamp II using the GPS program (NOV 03)
Nuts & volts..or get the last volume book!

Modifying the software for the stamp gets you a display via a serial port! .....You can download Data sheets of all three from the data area! the software for the laptop is limited(Beta)

Cheers Dennis:cool: