New to CC2 with some questions

Lawnmowerman

Hello all; I just received my 634usb, got it hooked up but have some questions.

The manual for CC2 said the icon should be blue in the systray, but mine is always red. Is there something wrong, or was it only blue in an older version?

It does work, I managed to call up 2 of the built-in screens and get them to show the correct info; the date/time screen and one of the performance screens, which shows cpu, hdd, phy and swp usage, however I can't get any others to show any real info.

I do have speedfan 4.21 installed and it runs at startup, but I have NO idea how to make CC2 read and display any speedfan info.

Also, I have the bootscreen set up program, and can get it to display what I want for a boot message, but I can't get it to store anything- it just shows the CF logo at startup.

I was reading the forums awhile before I bought my 634, so I know what it's capable of, I just don't know what I'M capable of making it do, I'm not a programmer. I downloaded a few of the user-made items; the gmail checker, the big-number time file and such, but don't know what to do with them, but I'm willing to learn new things.

I know this is quite a bit for a post, but any help you can throw my way will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks! Angelo
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

jc634

Administrator
I am somewhat confused. You say that you can view screens, but the CC2 tray icon is Red.

If it is Red, then CC2 is STOPPED and you should not be displaying any screens.

If the tray icon is Blue, then CC2 is running and should be displaying screens you have added.

Before going to adding/modifying/making screens, let's get this straightened out first.

Please provide additional feedback regarding this first.;)

Jim

reider

Can we also clarify the following.....

When about to use the Wintest program you need to rightclick with the mouse on the CC2 icon in the task tray and stop it. Use the Wintest icon, setup the lines with text etc then choose option 4 on the packet debugger to send the info to the module eeprom.

Now, close the Wintest program and restart CC2, the icon should turn blue after a few moments if it is on the correct com port. At this point you can use and add screens. Any newly added screens will require a restart of CC2 (not a reboot).

Hope this helps,

Steve

Lawnmowerman

To answer jc634, yep you read correctly. The CC2 icon is red, and I've NEVER gotten it to change to blue, yet under "add screen" I was able to add the date/time and the usage info screen, set them to alternate, and clicked "done". The CC2 icon is red, and right now it's alternating between both screens. I can even add some other screens, but they just show gibberish for what they are supposed to display, and I can have them alternating with the two I have working now.

To reider, when I first got it all hooked up and had CC2 running, I had then tried to run the wintest and see if it was working, but naturally it couldn't open com3 because CC2 was using it. I didn't realize that, but once I did, then after running wintest, I could run CC2 again with it showing my 2 screens. Now you say to stop CC2, use wintest and setup lines and choose option 4 on the packet debugger. Do you mean the bootscreen setup, because when I run wintest, it has nothing like what you mention, no option 4, unless I'm really missing something. If you meant the bootscreen program, I don't see any options or a packet debugger there either.

Everything is set on com3, in case you wanted to know; wintest only works once I set it to com3 (with CC2 closed), and CC2 is set for com3 also.

This is my usual luck for having weirdly strange things going on LOL!:eek:

jc634

Administrator
Gotta run to a track meeting here, but real quick...

I will assume CC2 and the 634 are both "good". You might go to the control panel and "force" Windows to use a different COM port. You will then have to reconfigure CC2 to use the new COM port. This is a shot in the dark right now, but I do think that their are conflicts with some MB/LCD's/CC2 occasionaly.

Jim

reider

OK, lets get the 'road on the show'.

(1) The packet debugger is a part of the 635 boot loader, I was being lazy and not loading the 634 version. This has a 'store all settings to eeprom' button, which effectively does exactly what the packet debugger/opton 4 stuff does. The main point was that you must stop one to use the other, then restart the first one.

(2) After some investigation I have reason to believe that wether you have CC2 installed or not you have CC1 installed too. The icon for that remains red, whereas the CC2 turns blue. You can keep both, though I would be tempted to uninstall CC1 to stop confusion.

(3) Once you are up to date and using CC2 we will then try to get you started with one or two screens. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Steve

daks001

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman
Hello all; I just received my 634usb, got it hooked up but have some questions.

The manual for CC2 said the icon should be blue in the systray, but mine is always red. Is there something wrong, or was it only blue in an older version?

The only time it stays red when running for me is if I have user switching enabled and I'm logged into another account that when I started CC2. Is that the case with you? Or have you still got CC1 installed

It does work, I managed to call up 2 of the built-in screens and get them to show the correct info; the date/time screen and one of the performance screens, which shows cpu, hdd, phy and swp usage, however I can't get any others to show any real info.
The windows nt performace counters are a little bit different on each computer, especially if you are running a different language.

In your cc2-service subdirectory you should see a directory called \perfmon_enum , run the perfmon_enum.exe file and have a look at the perfdump.txt file... LOTS of things in there that CC@ can monitor eh!!!! In your screen files you'll see lines like;
opt02="full_name=\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time"
make sure the part after the equal sign exists in your perfdump.txt file.

That's a really general answer. Is there any one screen you would like to start with and I'll help walk you through it.

I do have speedfan 4.21 installed and it runs at startup, but I have NO idea how to make CC2 read and display any speedfan info.
Untill the GUI is finished, the "screen building" is going to be a little difficult at first but once you get the hang of it, at first you'll look at this and your brain may want to explode, but once it clicks...

This thread covers a little bit of the speedfan Plugin for CC2 but let me give you a little blurb about the inner workings of cc2 as *I've* figured them out. (I'm no programmer either... ;), nor am I an employee of CF so use this info at your own risk... )

CC2_Service that sends the "packets" to the LCD gets it's display information from the cc2_service.ini file, the service.ini file shows what data gets put where. The Plug-ins are what get the data from your system and store the information in a common memory area that the service "reads". Each plug-in requires it's own .ini file. The \Program Files\CrystalControl2\cc2-service\plugin_info directory has some examples and explanations of the different plugins...

You could edit each one manually (plug-in ini's like cc2_cchar, cc2_time.ini, etc, then the main service.ini) OR you could make a screen file that you can load into the configuration editor that will write the ini's for you... then you can add and remove screens a little easier... (The configuaration editor cannot unlock all of CC2 features yet... but that's for another day..)

Anyways back to the screen format...
From the supplied CPU Usage Bargraph.2004 screenfile if you open it with a text editor...

[pre] <-first line
rows=4 <- # of rows
cols=20 <- # of colums for your type of LCD

<-The next [fromXX] "blocks" get written to the specific plug-in .ini files and tell the plugin what data to gather and give a unique ID to for cc2 service... each plugin requires different data.

[from00] <- FROM the first plug-instart counting at 00
from="cc2_perfmon.ini" <-what plug-in ini to write to.
sec="perf#" <- plug-in specific "title" and the # sign is assigned a sequential number in the ini file.
opt01="id=@01" <- the id=@01 assigns a unique random # ID to this data from the plugin that cc2 service will read from later on.
opt02="full_name=\Process(_Total)\% User Time" <-for the cc2_perfmon plug-in this is what data it will read from the windows nt performance monitor counters.
opt03="precision=0" <- How many decimal places for this data.
opt04="multiplier=1" <-Multiply the data by this number.

[from01] <-from the second plugin for this screen
from="cc2_hbar.ini" <-what plug-in ini to write to.
sec="bar#" <- Plug-in specific title
opt01="id=@02"<- the id=@02 assigns a unique random # ID to this data from the plugin that cc2 service will read from later on.
opt02="options=0x04" <-plugin specific, for hbar this is the type of "smoothing" of the graph.
opt03="length=20" <-how long this graph is to be on the screen
opt04="start_type=2" <- Start type for the bargraph, try changing this number and see what effects you can get.
opt05="start=0" <- for hbar the start/min value of the graph, this could be any number so long as it is less than the end= further on.
opt06="pos_type=1" <- positioning type
opt07="pos=@01" <-where the current position is on the graph, notice the @01 is used again! This means that hbar will read the data from perfmon's @01 value...
opt08="end_type=2" <-end type of the graph
opt09="end=100" <- for hbar the end/max value of the graph.
opt10="full_char_num=0" <-hbar specific for a "full cell character"
opt11="full_line1=63" <-there are eight lines here, these define each row in a "cell" on the screen for the character.
opt12="full_line2=63" <- you add up binary numbers to create each rows character, 1 , 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 (full line in a row=63)
opt13="full_line3=63" <-to create your own character... create a grid 6 wide by 8 high, put the above numbers as title on top and put X's in the grid that look like the shape you want.
opt14="full_line4=63" <- then add up the values of the X's from the title binary numbers on the grid and that is the value for that line..
opt15="full_line5=63" <-i.e. if you only wanted the middle two pixels in the bottom row of a cell the value for line8 would be 4+8=12.
opt16="full_line6=63"
opt17="full_line7=63"
opt18="full_line8=63"
opt19="empty_char_num=1" <-this next section defines a empty character
opt20="empty_line1=0" <-since these are all 0's nothing will be displayed when you have an empty block.
opt21="empty_line2=0" <-try editing line 2 and line 7 in the supplied cpu usage bargraph file (make a backup first) to equal 12
opt22="empty_line3=0" <-in the empty line section and see
opt23="empty_line4=0" <-what the difference is.
opt24="empty_line5=0"
opt25="empty_line6=0"
opt26="empty_line7=0"
opt27="empty_line8=0"
opt28="int_char_num=2"

-> Note: all those optXX= get written verbatum to your plugins's ini files as they are in the quotes. This next section gets written to your service.ini file.

[screen] <- tells cc2 that this is the screen "block"
screen_name="CPU Usage Bargraph" <-what you will see in the configuration editor ONCE the screen is loaded,
options=0 <-see the sample service.ini
alt_delay=5000 <- when you have screen alternate enabled, how long in ms you want the screen to be displayed 5000 ms = 5 seconds.

[r00] <-first/top row of the screen.
options=0 <- left justify that row other options are;

<- -- ROW OPTIONS
<-ROW_SCROLL 1
<-ROW_BOUNCE 2
<-ROW_CENTER 4
<-ROW_SCENTER 8

[r00-i00] <- first row, first "item"
string="CPU Use" <- put this text on the screen

[r01] <- second row
options=0 <-same as row options above

[r01-i00] <-second row first "item"
id=@01 <-remember above what data we assigned to this id value... this will display that number here.
options=1 <-used with length, different item options are;
<-item effects
<-RIGHTJUST 1
<- CENTER 2

length=3 <-how many fixed characters for item, since cpu use will change from 1 to 100 we want the number to stay right justified in a three character space.

[r01-i01] <-second row, second "item"
string="%" <- puts this text on the screen in this item spot.

[r02] <-third row
options=0 <-left justify third row

[r02-i00] <-third row, first item
id=@02 <- we assigned this @02 id to the hbar graph earlier in the from01 "block"

[r03] <-fourth row
options=0

[r03-i00]
id=@02 <-since we want to see a two row high bargraph we'll just display the same bargraph again in the fourth/bottom row on the 634.

Notes:
You can have many "items" on each row, either strings of text or id numbers of values from different plugins.
Plugins can get data from other plugins. But each plug-in is unique in what data it needs because they all do different things.

The plugin info directory will give you some more descriptions on each plugin.

If this does not make sense I blame the cold meds I'm on right now.

This should get you started with the screens ... and I hope it helps...

Lawnmowerman

Hmm OK let's see here. Maybe I do have CC1 installed, and just ASSUMED it's CC2. I got it directly off the CF software download section, it says crystalcontrol, and it's version 1.06, that should tell you guys if I'm running 1 or 2. Since that's the only version listed on the download section, I'm going to look through the forum and see if CC2 is a beta(?) and download it if so.

When I'm trying the boot screen program, I made sure CC(1?,2?) was shut down, as naturally both won't work at once. I can put in my text, and hit the "store all settings to eeprom", but I never get an indication that it actually did, and like I said, when booting up it only shows the CF screen, not my boot screen. Once I had what I wanted, I saved that screen in the folder, and I can load it and display it, just can't get it to store it.

Daks, it looks like once we get the basics figured out, I may have some questions for you, as it seems you've played with speedfan quite a bit.;) I nearly had sensory overload reading your post and attempting to understand it, but with a bit of time, I think I'll get on board.

Thanks all!
Angelo

reider

OK, you definately have CC1 loaded and need the newer CC2 instead-then we`re on a level playing field.

get CC2 here......

Speedfan, don`t worry about this. Set it up to work with your system so you`re happy its reflecting CPU, PWM, HD0, PSU for example. You may need to change some titles to reflect your components.

Then, Install a simple 634 Speedfan screen. These work on ID numbers and hopefully these will correspond to the titles you have setup in Speedfan. These should show the temps you require. If not, then we just simply change the ID numbers to suit. :)

Steve

Lawnmowerman

Well now we're getting somewhere. After the last post, I found CC2 and it's plugin updates and got them all in now and am REALLY running CC2, and yes, it's BLUE! HEHEHE.

Going to check a few things in it and see if I can find my way around it now, but rest assured, the questions will continue......

As for speedfan, as of yet I don't have any titles in it or anything, I just have it up and running. So we can work on corresponding it later I guess.

Thanks again!

reider

No problems, make sure you look around 'user screens' in the forums. Lots of CC2, and especially Speedfan goodies in there. The task bar at the bottom of the thread should be changed to show 'from the beginning' instead of the last 30 days and then you will get the full benefit. Now we`re cooking on gas!

EDIT: Right, its 2am here and I`m clocking off for the night ;) Help is still around so don`t worry, Daks and JC are usually here at this time.

Steve

Last edited:

Lawnmowerman

OK get some sleep, you've been a great help so far! One problem I do have, and have read the post about, is the display flickering when it starts up. One poster said to use the boot screen setup program to set the contrast and brightness in there and store it to the eeprom, but that is another of the problems I'm having; the boot program won't store ANYTHING in it for me, no matter what I try. I guess if I can get that part working, then I'll move on to getting some screens up and running.

daks001

Lawnmowerman said:
Daks, it looks like once we get the basics figured out, I may have some questions for you, as it seems you've played with speedfan quite a bit.;) I nearly had sensory overload reading your post and attempting to understand it, but with a bit of time, I think I'll get on board.

Thanks all!
Angelo
All of us are good for answering questions ( CF team and the beta testers ) The CF team can give you the official responses and we can tell you what we've figured out by "fiddling". Reider is the guy who did the most "fiddling" with speedfan. ;) He did most of the "public fiddle" starting here;

https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3349&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

It may seem overloading at first glance (and that is just the tip of the iceberg for CC2 features) but all of us "overloaded" then "fiddled" and made mistakes then it started clicking in. The log files are real handy for picking up your syntax errors, I did my first few screens by just editing existing ones and reloading them and seeing what happens, then I started copying and pasting from the existing screens to create custom screens and now I copy and paste and do alot more direct editing (I'm lazy why type more than I have to!). The possibilities are what are overwhelming.

hmmm... "public fiddle" , LOL , must be the cough medicine.

jc634

Administrator
I wouldn't bother with the boot screen, as it is not necesary. I think I used it once since I have LCD's.

You can set contrast/brightness right in the CC2 configuration screen, anyway.

Jim

Lawnmowerman

Well it would be nice to have it, as there are some fun things to do with it, but after reading this, I went into the config and found the settings for the contrast/brightness, so at least that's right now.:p

daks001

Lawnmowerman said:
OK get some sleep, you've been a great help so far! One problem I do have, and have read the post about, is the display flickering when it starts up. One poster said to use the boot screen setup program to set the contrast and brightness in there and store it to the eeprom, but that is another of the problems I'm having; the boot program won't store ANYTHING in it for me, no matter what I try. I guess if I can get that part working, then I'll move on to getting some screens up and running.
Can you update the display with CC2 stopped? Do you have the correct baud setting (19200)?

Lawnmowerman

OK, after reading this, I went back and played with the boot setup, and got it working. I wasn't sure what order you should do things, apparently hitting "update" in there somewhere was the key, but now my boot screen shows up. Just one more thing to love about this display!

Now it's off to work to figure out more fun things to do!

Oh, and yes all the baud settings everywhere are 19200.

Thanks.

daks001

Lawnmowerman said:
OK, after reading this, I went back and played with the boot setup, and got it working. I wasn't sure what order you should do things, apparently hitting "update" in there somewhere was the key, but now my boot screen shows up. Just one more thing to love about this display!

Now it's off to work to figure out more fun things to do!

Oh, and yes all the baud settings everywhere are 19200.

Thanks.
I just went and played with the boot screen editor and yes you have to hit the "update" button and then the "Store all settings to eeprom" button. Sorry it's been a while since I played with that.

reider

Right, now 'the fiddler on the roof' has returned from slumber we have these addresses to grab your attention.

The first one is a set of screens specifically made for the 634 and showing the main four items in use on the computer. With the temperatures fully dictated by Speedfan, the titles can be manually adjusted in the screen itself (instructions later-to save confusion).

634 Screens

This second one is a full compendium of temperatures for the 634 but with all numbers in a large (big) readout style. Again, all data can be manipulated (fiddled-thanks Daks ;) ).

Temps, 634, Big Nums

Now we are up to implementing screens and the initial problems are sorted, we really need to vacate these premises. A better thread from now on would be

User Screens

Then we can save this area for other calamities whilst we generally fiddle away to our hearts content.
;)

Steve

Lawnmowerman

You are correct, Steve, I was already looking there, and actually I had already downloaded a couple of your 634 screens, and that was BEFORE I had even received my 634. ;)

I'll have a few questions on getting them up and running, and look forward to your guidance.

Thanks once again!

Angelo.

Last edited: