Need Help w/ New Project (N00B)

DarkJedi

Calling all 'lectronic gurus!

Ive search the web for some time.. and now I humbly come to the masters for help.

Im looking to get a crystalfotz display - but not for a pc... but for a standalone non-wired application.

Looking to make nifty little call-sign badges for my and my clan... we are serious Battletech junkies (Virtual World Pod Game - inside Dave and Busters etc)...

Thought it would rock to have somethign like this for tournaments etc... Multi Line...

Larger text for callsign : DARKJEDI
Smaller text bellow : Missions : XXX Kills : XXX

Which display would you reccomend? Would be nice to have some form of backlit - just so it could "glow" and if someone walked up to you, it would be readable... not like bright or anything...
Yes - would need some form of battery to power...
and would need to be able to attach to pc to update data after tourneys etc...

Problem is - I know how to solder... and some basic electronics knowledge... but pretty limited.
Willing to learn... and yes - i am pretty much looking to be pointed in the right direction, unless someone knows of a webpage that details a similar project, or would be able to tell me how to accomplish my goals...

Would even be willing to pay for the help in getting this step by step how to do achieve this... if I needed to.

Thanks much in advance...

DarkJedi
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.