Moving from 635 to 735 in Windows CE

Hello

We are moving from the 635 USB Display to the 735 Display. Our operating system is Windows ce 6.0.
I have noticed thata we need a new device driver to get the 735 up and running.

Now we have included your ftdi_ser.dll and ftdi_ser.reg files into our image, bur I am unable to find these for the new 735 display.
How can I get hold of these?
Or, can I just replace the ftdi_ser.dll with your cfprod1.dll file taken from the signed 32-bits driver for the 735 display?

Another question is the backward compatible issues. in field we will have both the 635 and the 735 in the future.
Is there any way for the operating system to detect which display that is included in the system and then load the correct device driver?

Thank you

Best regards

John Melin
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
John:

You will not be able to just replace the .dll files - you will need to do a proper installation of the drivers for the CFA735. Once the driver is installed, the module will report differently to the OS than the CFA635 does.

Device_mgr_with_CFA735.jpg

We have not tested the CFA735 driver with Windows CE specifically. It is possible to communicate with the CFA735 directly via USB without the use of a driver, which may be a better solution for Windows CE.

Hello

I do not understand.
you will need to do a proper installation of the drivers for the CFA735
We install the driver in wince by using the ftdi_ser.dll and ftdi_ser.reg for the 635 display.

Can I use the same (modified) .reg file with the new dll when installing the driver for 735?

The other thing that we do not need a driver:
What do you mean by that? We need a driver to be able to open, for example a COM-port towards the display, correct?
May we do this in some other way?

Thank you

Best regards

John Melin

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Support

Administrator
Hi John,

If the processor is x86 or x86_64 compatible, the CFA-735 driver may work on Win CE. It does require WinUSB (winusbcoinstaller2.dll) and the User Mode Driver Framework aka UMDF (WdfCoInstaller01009.dll, WUDFUpdate_01009.dll) which are included in the driver package.

When we said you did not need a driver, we were saying you can talk directly to the USB device using the WinUSB layer and bypass the driver (more precisely using WinUSB.sys as the driver) that provides the COM port abstraction. This requires knowledge of USB control and USB pipes. The CFA-735 exposes itself as a Communication Device Class in the Abstract Control Model. This is basically two data pipes one IN and one OUT (both pipes are named from the perspective of the host PC). You can transmit on the OUT pipe and receive on the IN pipe the same data you would have over the COM port interface. Some notes about using WinUSB: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...usb_as_the_function_driver_for_the_usb_device

Thank you.

Dear All

I am trying to figure out how we can get the 735 display up and running within Windows CE.

It seems like there are no support for WinUSB within Windows CE,
http://www.windows-mobile-answers.com/microsoft/WindowsCE-Platform-Builder/36145669/winusb.aspx

If that is correct I am stucked with trying to get the 735 device driver up and running on wince, correct?

But you are saying that this driver is depending on the winusb as well, correct?

Basically I am trying to replace the outgoing 635 with a new display (our supplier recommended 735)
Do we have any other options?
Without trying to debug etc. I would say that the Windows CE support for the 735 is very poor, correct med if I wrong.

Please help me with this.
Would you recommend me another display?

Thank you

Best regards

John Melin

CF Support

Administrator
Hi John,

Other driver software options:

"usbser.sys":
Desktop Varieties of Windows include a "standard" USB to Serial Driver known as "usbser.sys". It is not too widely supported and has some speed limitations (see http://www.lvr.com/usbfaq.htm). That being said, it has worked with our device but our performance is improved with our own driver. Does Windows CE include "usbser.sys"? If so, an INF file such as the one attached may work.

STMicroelectronics USB CDC ACM Driver:
The chip vendor that produces the microcontroller we used on the CFA-735 has produced their own driver for communicating over the USB CDC interface. It can be found at http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/SW_COMPONENT/SW_DRIVER/stm32_vcp.zip

Thank you.

Attachments

Dear All

We have been trying to resolve the windows CE driver Issue for the CFA735 display but without any luck.
We have also asked the chip manufactor for a wince driver for the chip. No driver available was the respons.

It has come to our knowledge thata you are trying to develop a CFA735YYEKR1 display.

Could you please tell us how the CFA735YYEKR1 will differ compared to the CFA635-YYE-KU1

Will the CFA735YYEKR1 har an ftdi_ser circuit?
Will this support Windows CE?

If you think it will work, could you please send us one sample for evaluation?

Thank you

Best regards

John Melin