Lots of disk access

spryszlak

Not a complaint, just a comment. Is it me or does CC2 cause more disk access than the old one? I have my PC running my TV in the lounge and I want it quiet. So I spin the disk down as much as possible.

I have the latest version installed with the following screens. DateTime, Uptime, %Drive used and %CPU. The hard disk starts up every couple of minutes now, where as with CC1 it would rest for an hour or so. I definitely had the DateTime, Uptime and %Drive used screen loaded with the old version. I assume its CC2 as thats the only thing that has changed on it recently.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it still seems to be the case. Its not major, just a bit strange.

Shaun

PS. Roll on the screen editor.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
I think it would be caused by the rather large amount of logging that CC2 does.
I will be aiming to reduce this in the future.

An easy way to check if it is the log files (the *.log files in the cc2-service directory), is just to delete them while CC2 is running.
If it writes to any while running, itll recreate them.

The screen editor is in the works atm.

spryszlak

Any chance this has been fixed in the new releases? I note a couple ofcomments about log files in the release notes.

CF Mark

Administrator
spryszlak said:
Any chance this has been fixed in the new releases? I note a couple ofcomments about log files in the release notes.
Yes, logging has been changed a bit in the current release.
You can now set what gets logged and what doesnt.

If you give the new version a try, edit the "logprefs.ini" file in the CrystalControl2 directory and set "file_level" to 4.
At this setting only critical errors (erros that cause CC2 to shutdown) will be logged.

n0saj

Would an easy way to get around this issue not be to create a ramdisk and then redirect all termporary files to that area.

This way your hard disk should be left idle as you want.

It would be neat if CrystalControl2 didn't write to the disk but I think this would make the application a lot more complicated and may not be possible in all data capturing instances.