jalcds question

PlasmaFire

Hi I am rather new here and to the LCD world. I have download jalcds but cant get it to work with my Crystal Fontz 632.

I see at the top of the config screen that it only supports LPT ports? Is this true?

I am running a usb to serial converter if that makes any diffrence, its the Aten one. Have it set up to work with crystal fonts but I think the problem with jalcds is the driver for the converter. Am I right here?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Americanfreak

try using the beta version. where it says "change the printer port" put in what com port your using, like "com 2" then you will get options for for CF LCD if you click on the words crystalfonts. there is no button.......

I like this software alot.....

jaLCDS beta

you will have to have a program that uncompresses an rar file.

DangDave

I cant get it to work. It takes com1 but wont save it. My screen never comes on. Am using 3.02 with 3.01beta and the port drivers.
Any suggestions?

Win XP

Americanfreak

try this one, it is the newest version. You might need to remove the olds ones. I just installed into a different Dir.

jaLCDs31rc1

I have my LCD on Com 2

You have to make a new config and save it. When you restart the config editor the screen looks like it would be for a new config. Open your config and all the settings will be there.

Its kind of hard at first but it does some neat stuff and even more that i'm still trying to figure out :D

DangDave

This thing is awsome! (now that I've got it running)
Wish I could read German though.
Are they still writing stuff for this?

Americanfreak

yeah little by little......you kind of have to scan thru the german message board......

take a look at the Character Editor......you can make your own moving Icons.......I'm just now trying out a beta for Trillian (IM program).......

Kevin

I tried to use this on a Windows XP machine and I get all kinds of OCX files missing. I found some but cant find dtsystemmonitor.ocx.

dmets

I am looking for a good english language resource on how to use/program/configure jaLCDs. It looks like this program is the one I have been looking for - however it is in German and most of the support is in German. bablefish is great - but it doesn't work 100%, and I don't speak a lick of German.

Has anyone had success? Where did you turn? is there an english language user guide?

Thanks.

Dustin

PlasmaFire

Well it's been weeks now and I still can't get it to work. Can't even start the program now, it says I am missing some module?

Uninstalled, reinstalled, still no workie. :(

Oh yea, I am now using a 634 USB. With the Crystalfontz usb drivers installed. Do I need to tweak the driver somehow?

Last edited:

DangDave

Jalcd has great potential, but has a long way to go.
Its buggy and the authors are just coding in they're spare time.
Also the fact that there are so many different lcd,vfd's to support doesn't help.

I took alook at lcdc and it looks like it would be good but doen't support Crystalfontz displays.

http://lcdc.planetdps.com/

dmets

jaLCDs is not that buggy - it just isn't well documented in english.

As for LCDC - I agree I would love to run that program. Anyone interested in coding a LCDC definition file for CrystalFontz displays (particularly th 634 ;-) )

The author of LCDC is pretty much ANTI-CrystalFontz - stupid if you ask me. I would buy the program if I could. Seems stupid to intentionally exclude all CrystalFontz LCD screen owners as potential customers.

Dustin

Americanfreak

Kind of sounds like Steve Jobs of Apple Copmuters.........just think we all would be using MAC's , but he didn't want ANYONE else to make stuff for the MAC.

Narrow Minds=Narrow Goals