Internal connection for 634 USB

tmproff

I just ordered the 634 LCD using the USB connector. I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to connect this to one of the internal connections on the motherboard. I read through the sticky, but I didnt' see anything that suits this question. Thanks for your help!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

timid1

Internal connection depends on whether or not you have any available USB headers on your motherboard. Check your motherboard manual for pin configurations (as it will vary between manufacturers). Chances are that even if you have available headers, that you will need to disassemble the USB cable. There's four or five pins on your USB header that you will need to connect the cable to. PIN configurations are important... you could fry your LCD if not done properly!!!

A MUCH easier way to do it would be to purchase a PCI USB card, much like the one that SIIG has. Follow the link here:

http://www.siig.com/products/usb/features/USB2_1394DVKit.html

I have that one on my system now. Although I don't have a USB LCD, I use the internal USB header because I have run out of motherboard USB headers. Great product, although a bit pricey. You can find much less expensive USB cards at your local CompUSA.

In fact, here are a couple SKU numbers that might help you. 289091 .... and there are a couple by CompUSA that should work, but last time I checked, they were discontinued. You might be able to have better luck by visiting your local CompUSA.

tmproff

I just recently installed the Chaintech Nforce2 board, and it has 2 internal USB connectors inside. Are their instructions available for creating your own USB cable for this?

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

timid1

tmproff said:
I just recently installed the Chaintech Nforce2 board, and it has 2 internal USB connectors inside. Are their instructions available for creating your own USB cable for this?
Don't quote me on this, but you should be able to just cut the head of the USB cable off. But honestly, it will be a LOT easier if you just purchased a PCI card with an internal USB plug. Cheap and easy and will probably eliminate your need for a USB hub! :) Kill two birds with one stone.

Nice mobo, BTW.

timid1