Interfacing to Speedfan

Quadphile

I have sent the creator of Speedfan a request for whether there was a way to interface to speedfan, or maybe to talk to us CC users on what to do to get the two working together. I'm not a software person on CC2, but here's what I'd like to do:

get CC2 to send Temp sensor and Fan RPM to Speedfan. Speedfan then could send back to CC2 the speed the 4 fans should run at.

This would be with the CF633, or the other display with fan control.

Doing this allows all temp and fan speed settiings to be located in one program to control accordingly. I'm sure you can see the advantages of doing this, as sometimes the two programs do something the other one does as well (CPU usage metering) etc.

I've left a plugin request as well, but just wanted to let everyone know of my efforts thus far. Also, I have no idea how development is being caried out, if there was something I could help out with I'm a green-behind the ears computer sciences student (yes don't laugh, I'm trying at least!). I'd really like to see my ideas to life, I just don't know enough to do it on my own :p
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
I have sent the creator of Speedfan a request for whether there was a way to interface to speedfan, or maybe to talk to us CC users on what to do to get the two working together. I'm not a software person on CC2, but here's what I'd like to do
Speedfan support is already done.
Itll be in the next release (which will be put up later today!).

get CC2 to send Temp sensor and Fan RPM to Speedfan. Speedfan then could send back to CC2 the speed the 4 fans should run at.
No need, the new release will have full 631/633/635 fan speed control support.

Doing this allows all temp and fan speed settiings to be located in one program to control accordingly. I'm sure you can see the advantages of doing this, as sometimes the two programs do something the other one does as well (CPU usage metering) etc.
CC2 will do a better job of setting fan speeds than speedfan.
All located in one app would be nice i guess, but its too difficult to do with both apps being developed separatley.

I've left a plugin request as well, but just wanted to let everyone know of my efforts thus far. Also, I have no idea how development is being caried out, if there was something I could help out with I'm a green-behind the ears computer sciences student (yes don't laugh, I'm trying at least!). I'd really like to see my ideas to life, I just don't know enough to do it on my own :p
Can you program in C fairly well?
Really the plugin interface to CC2 is quite simple.
Ill help you with anything you need to know that you cant work out from the included SDK.

More requests/ideas the better :)

Quadphile

The creator of speedfan has replyed to my request, and here's what he says (quote)

SpeedFan publishes a Shared Memory area.
Using Delphi convention:

TSharedMem=packed record
version:word;
flags :word;
MemSize:integer;
handle :THandle;
NumTemps:word;
NumFans :word;
NumVolts:word;
temps:array[0..31] of integer;
fans :array[0..31] of integer;
volts:array[0..31] of integer;
end;

The name of the shared memory area is "SFSharedMemory_ALM".
INTEGER is a 32 bit signed integer.
Consider that these specs were written a long time ago and might change in the future, but, currently, they are working fine ever since :)

SpeedFan home page --> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Delphi home page --> http://www.almico.com/delphi
Elf home page --> http://www.radsite.com/elf

(unquote)

I censored his name and email, both of which you can currently find on his site. I know I'd be annoyed if someone posted my email somewhere and it started getting spam as a result.

This should be helpful to somone trying to make a Speedfan plugin. Myself, I'll have to wait fr CC2 to come out first, then research how to use this information. (time to bug my 3rd year Comp. Sci friend)

CF Mark

Administrator
Quadphile said:
This should be helpful to somone trying to make a Speedfan plugin. Myself, I'll have to wait fr CC2 to come out first, then research how to use this information. (time to bug my 3rd year Comp. Sci friend)
I already have the information above and used it to make the Speedfan plugin...

reider

CrystalControl Admin said:
I already have the information above and used it to make the Speedfan plugin...
CF made a Plugin and we`ve been making screens of different sorts for eons. A simple trip to the CC2/User Screens would have shown this. We even have 32 test screens for all the ID`s used on each of the 631 and the 635. We have screens for CPU temps, PSU, drives even multiple drive setups.

Steve

jc634

Administrator
Quadphile said:

This would be with the CF633, or the other display with fan control.

Adding a plug-in to do this would be nice to provide addtional information to CC2. However, consider this:

- Speedfan can read only the temperatures that the MB manufacturer decides to provide outputs for. This can be very limiting.

- Using CF temp sensors along with a 633 or SCAB module, the user can determine the important temps to monitor. In my case, I have sensors attached to my CPU heatsink, HD's, and Northbridge. At some point, I need to add 1 to my video card. I have just been to lazy (or busy) to add.

Since all this is hardware and controlled by CC2, the user is not dependent upon waiting for speedfan support to be added for new MB's, Video cards, etc.

I know that this is one of the major reasons that the author of MBM decided to call it quits. I use and really like speedfan for monitoring, however, one cannot be sure of how long support will last.

CF sells HW. CC2 is now at a point where it fully supports all of the HW that CF sells. Alot of the success that CF will have in selling HW to the computer enthusiasts will be closely tied to the continued success of CC2.

It has been asked by several people why some of us have supported CC2 adamantly, when there are competing programs that are somewhat more mature in the GUI interface and some plug-ins. My answer to that is read the previous paragraph (and following paragraph).

Support for CC2 will not wane and die at the whim of the author as long as CF has a vested interest in the success of CC2. That simply means that as long as there are enthusiasts out there like us who demand LCD displays for their computers, CF and CC2 or 3 or 4 will be there for us.

Jim