HD44780 parallel problem

KAiNAM

Hi there,
thanks for reading this, when i give the lcd power i get two full black lines, on lines 1 and 3.

after ive started crystal control they disapear and i can get stuff too appear on the lcd. the problem is the first 8 columns are readable and the rest are not, they are significantly lighter, not readable even at full contrast while the first 8 are perfectly visible.

Any thoughts, thanks jake
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

KAiNAM

iv ran the CFAH WinTest software, it does its little dance and fills up the entire lcd with chars, and they all work.
the first 8 columns are still at the correct contrast and the rest are still barely visible.

but when the lcd starts up and bring up the two complete black bars on lines 1 and 3 they are contrasted correctly.

which confuses me, if the lcd can create blocks in those other columns at the correct contrast why are these chars not working?

???? - confused

KAiNAM

Seeing as the lcd is working properly apart from the contrast weirdness, it wont be a wirring problem correct? or a bad solder joint?

KAiNAM

"Start with pin 3 (Vo) at about 1 volt." ???

i just tried the lcd with a winamp plugin, same problem still.
(was hoping it was software)