Getting CC2 to work in Vista (32-bit)

jc634

Administrator
A couple days ago, I installed Vista. I knew going in that there would be problems with Vista and CC2. So... If you must have Vista and you are using CC2 (why else would you be here?;)), here is what I have done.

1. While I still had XP installed, I added/deleted any screens that I wanted in Vista. In my case, I removed most screens that required external apps, such as ATI Tray Tools, Speedfan, etc. Also (very important), remove any screens that use Everest data. CC2 has a serious memory leak when using Everest data.

Also, (very important!) if you have your display set to dim, when idle, disable it.

2. Save all the ini files to a save place.

3. Install Vista. Install drivers/programs as you desire.

4. Install the CF USB drivers. Using the Device Manager, install your display(s).

5. Install CC2. Latest version, of course!:)

So far, just like XP.

6. Now, copy back your SAVED ini files into the CC2 directory.

7. Either restart your computer or start the CC2_service using Windows Services.

8. Your displays should now be working, just like in XP.

Why this method? The CC2 config program can not access the CC2_service program. I did remove 1 screen using the config program. So you actually may be able to add/delete screens using the config program, you simply cannot use it to start CC2.

Also, I don't remember if the service was running when I deleted a screen. It's just best to stop the service, if you need to add/remove screens. It may also be possible to change the dimming option this way also.

Please note that this is for 32-bit Vista. I had absolutely no luck getting the displays to install using 64-bit Vista.

And FWIW, the service has died a couple times over the past view days. Mostly when adding programs or changing some other configuration. Been working fine, otherwise.

Questions?

JC
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

reider

Thanks for that JC, I`m running the 64 bit Premium Version. Wasn`t keen at first, just seemed dressing on top of XP64 with a very little extra thrown in. Now, I`m not so sure I could live without it-though I will keep dual booting with XP32-Ijunked 64 a while ago as it was a trial. I thought the XP64 drivers would work but no can do. I think it will start working in the fullness of time.

Off on a tangent, FSX runs better (mainly loading times) under Vista. Getting a new 2GB USB Flash Key on Tuesday to use with Vista Readyboost, my present ones are not compatible.

Reider

jc634

Administrator
I'm running Vista Business. Got it free, along with Office 2007, thru a MS promotion. Sent in for the 64-bit version, which I will not be installing until ALL (not just CC2) the driver issues are straightned out. Even then, I wouldn't expect much of a performance gain, as I sure don't plan on installing more than 4 gigs of mem in my computer!:rolleyes:

Regarding performance, Vista does seem a bit (or more) snappier than XP. I think XP had been patched so much, it was to the point that the only real performance improvement that could be made was a new operating system. Time will tell...

Now, all we need IMO CC2-wise (in order) is:

1. Fix Everest mem leaks.
2. Obtain signed/working USB drivers (32 & 64 bit).
3. Update CC2 to work with Vista.

Piece of cake, right?:p And very easy for me to say...;)

JC

Grentz

Interesting, thanks for the news/ideas.

I received and am running Vista Business 32bit as well (thanks to the Powertogether promotion a few months back) and tried and tried but had no luck with CC2 Config program (i had tried changing service/program permissions, editing the system services, etc. with no luck).

I have since removed the 635 w/SCAB from my system and instead just put in my single 634 display. The 635 will get a good home in one of my other machines though :cool:

Hopefully CC2 will work with Vista someday :) Right now its the only app that does not work on Vista for me :p All my other stuff has worked fine except for fireworks that kicks windows in the basic gui instead of aero.

I have also been lucky with drivers since I just built this new machine for Vista and thus everything has drivers for Vista and has been running good. For me Vista is much snappier and after it starts to cache things i use it just flies! (I have 2gb of system RAM)

Madness

I plan to have a Vista Home Premium dual-booting w/ XP Home. I assume I'd need to have the signed USB drivers to make my 635 work on Vista, correct? Problem is, despite the info in the announcement forum, the signed drivers don't show up when I go to Windows Update. I go to custom | hardware (optional) and there's nothing. Can they be acquired any other way?

jc634

Administrator
I plan to have a Vista Home Premium dual-booting w/ XP Home. I assume I'd need to have the signed USB drivers to make my 635 work on Vista, correct? Problem is, despite the info in the announcement forum, the signed drivers don't show up when I go to Windows Update. I go to custom | hardware (optional) and there's nothing. Can they be acquired any other way?
Actually, the current USB drivers work under 32-bit Vista. I'm not sure, but the "signed" drivers may have been removed from Windows Update; CF people would be better able to answer than I. I tried the update 1 time. It was not a good experience.:(

Hopefully, it will be resolved eventually.:)

JC

reider

As I said, I have the 64 bit version. I was going to build a better machine for my flight sim, but got an AMD 3800+ 64 bit dual core, with 1 gig cache and 1 gig ddr2 memory, to which I added another gig today and will be adding the 2 gig USB Key too, wired to the inside of the machine again. Its a 160 gig partitioned SATA Drive, dual layer DVD cutter, card reader, keyboard, mouse, good onboard sound, onboard lan and onboard video (Nvidia 6100). I added an Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT video card today. The base unit was £300 inc. MSE 2005 (without the extra gig of mem and better vid card).

Now we get to the clux of it, the offer includes a free upgrade to Vista Premium 32 bit for the price of Paperwork and delivery (a princely £14 and a bit of change). So it looks like my modules will go on after all. Watch this space......

FSX is booming now...... wahey! Not the best system but a real good one and an excellent price! I`m out of work so I sold my granny to get it.....lol-smelly old so n so!

Reider

Madness

I'm running a 3800+ dualcore, myself, w/ 2gig memory. Just bought an EVGA 7600GT card, to boot, for a steal! But I decided on the 32-bit VHP since there'd be a better chance of getting needed drivers. There's two SATA drives installed in here. XP Home will stay on its current one and Vista will go on the second.

jc634

Administrator
You lost me on steps 1 and 7. I'm a noob to Vista and any help would be great.
Do you have XP or Vista running currently? If you did not CC2 loaded in XP, or have installed Vista w/o saving any CC2 data files from XP, 1 and 7 will not do you any good.

Let me know what condition your SW is in. More details...:)

JC

armoredcars

Vista, and it's on a brand new computer that has never seen an XP disc so I'm guessing I don't have anything saved from XP. I do have if that is what you are asking.
cc2setup-20061225
cf-usb-2154b
and 631_WinTest

I have no idea what SW is but my best guess is it has something to do with the display since that is the only thing I can think of that would be worth noting the condition.
It lights up and displays the CrystalFontz logo and stuff as it should and WinTest let me change the top line to CrystalFontasdf so I'm guessing it's with the software.

Hope this helps.

jc634

Administrator
SW = software. Sorry...

You have everything you need to get your display working. I have just finished a draft step-by-step guide on getting CC2 to be 90% functional in Vista (32-bit only). I assume you are running 32-bit?

I also have the latest USB drivers from FTDI working in Vista, also. Once I do some checks on how they work in Win 2000 and XP, the plan is to put them in the forums here (BETA, of course!:p ). They will be unsigned, like the current USB drivers. Once CF is satisfied that they work, I hope they will be able to get them signed, to eliminate any problems Vista has with unsigned drivers.

Hopefully, within 1-2 weeks...

If you are using 64-bit Vista, I won't be able to help much at this time. I have the 64-bit disk, but do not plan on upgrading for awhile. I really want assurance that drivers (not just CF) are working, before I do.

Jim

Edit: I don't really want to try to explain in a post what I did to get CC2 working. Might become quite confusing, especially with any cavaets. My draft is several pages long, because I took a lot of screen shots of the process.

But it really does work quite well. The only thing I cannot do is restart CC2 from the Config program, which is really not a big deal.

Last edited:

armoredcars

Yeah, I'm using 32 bit. No rush here, I'm still busy setting my my computers so I'll just check back every couple days or so.
Thanks!