Forced blank lines inbetween each char on my 633?

moeburn

For some reason my 633 forces blank vertical lines every 5 pixels across. I'm not sure if this is just the way they designed it, but it would seem strange if it were intentional. But this means that when I am making a custom character, the entire first left column of pixels won't show up no matter what I put there. It makes it impossible to have big connected designs larger than one character block. There's also a long horizontal blank line of pixels separating the top and bottom lines of the display, but that doesn't concern me as much as the 15 vertical blank lines of pixels.

Is there anything I can do about this?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support2

Administrator
What you are seeing is the way that the LCD glass is designed. The pixel array is not "solid" like it is on the CFA631 and CFA635 family. The CFA533 and CFA633 have a more traditional style of character LCD. I've attached a picture of a module with the contrast turned up to show the individual pixels.

Attachments

moeburn

What you are seeing is the way that the LCD glass is designed. The pixel array is not "solid" like it is on the CFA631 and CFA635 family. The CFA533 and CFA633 have a more traditional style of character LCD. I've attached a picture of a module with the contrast turned up to show the individual pixels.
rats. I don't suppose you'd know if the LCD screen's ribbon connectors are proprietary or common? I ask because I can easily buy a better 16x2 LCD screen with no blank lines between characters and resolder it, but I'm not sure if the connectors on each LCD display is different and depends on the manufacturer, and if the 633's internal circuitry would even be able to draw those extra lines, even with an LCD that could display them.

CF Support2

Administrator
The LCD glass on the CFA533 / CFA633 is connected to the PCB via elastomers called "zebras" because of the strips of conductive / non-conductive material. It's all held in place by the bezel. The LCD glass used is designed and manufactured specifically for the CFA533 / CFA633 family of modules and manufactured to high standards.
The LCD controller's connection to the PCB and pads that talk to the glass only support the 5 x 8 array. If you tracked down glass that fit and has the appropriate properties, the 6 x x 8 array would not be supported.