Difficulty building angstrom distribution

laser_dude

Hello,

I am trying to build the angstrom distribution for the CFA910, and I have had a lot of difficulty. I'm running with OpenSUSE version 11.3.

I successfully navigated around a problem with quilt, in which it was complaining that it needed at least version 2.4 of GNU patch, even though my version was beyond 2.4. The fix for that issue is to apply the patch found here:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2010-06/msg00002.html

to the files configure and configure.ac in
~/angstrom/build/conf/tmp/work/i686-linux/quilt-native-0.48-r0/quilt-0.48 and
~/tmp/work/i686-linux/quilt-native-0.48-r0/quilt-0.48

The problem I have now is that bitbake is freezing up at this point:
Code:
> bitbake cfa-10022-image
NOTE: Handling BitBake files: - (8395/8395) [100 %]
NOTE: Parsing finished. 7585 cached, 473 parsed, 337 skipped, 0 masked.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
NOTE: Preparing runqueue
ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/xserver (/home/dklemer/angstrom/openembedded/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-xorg_1.7.4.bb /home/dklemer/angstrom/openembedded/recipes/xorg-xserver/xserver-kdrive_1.4.0.90.bb).
 This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.
NOTE: Executing runqueue
NOTE: Running task 772 of 5984 (ID: 1705, /home/dklemer/angstrom/openembedded/recipes/xorg-proto/fixesproto_4.1.1.bb, do_fetch)
NOTE: Running task 778 of 5984 (ID: 4762, /home/dklemer/angstrom/openembedded/recipes/fontconfig/fontconfig-native_2.6.0.bb, do_fetch)
NOTE: Running task 807 of 5984 (ID: 4827, /home/dklemer/angstrom/openembedded/recipes/libgpg-error/libgpg-error_1.4.bb, do_fetch)
NOTE: Running task 851 of 5984 (ID: 4658, /home/dklemer/angstrom/openembedded/recipes/lzo/lzo_1.08.bb, do_fetch)
Has anyone seen this behavior? Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks,
Dan
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support

Administrator
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately we have not seen this issue. We build here with Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS.

There are some things you can try.

1) Change your build to be as serial as possible. In build/conf/local.conf comment out or remove the lines for PARALLEL_MAKE and BB_NUMBER_THREADS. That will slow down the build but make it easier to debug.

2) Add -D to the bitbake command line to get more debugging information. You can add multiple -D options to increase the amount of debug information.

3) On whatever package is stalling, read through its run scipts and logs. For example the quilt ones would be found in tmp/work/x86_64-linux/quilt-native-0.48-r0/temp/

I hope these helps,

Rob

jdmulloy

I think I'm running into the same problem. I followed the suggestions above and disabled parallell building and enabled debugging. It seems to be choking on the obex-data-server package. I couldn't find the package in the tmp directory. I've attached the build output. I'm running Debian 6.0 Lenny.

Attachments

jdmulloy

I was able to get the build to complete by adding the -k flag to the bitbake command. It causes bitbake to skip failed packages. obex-data-server and fennec_hg failed to build, but everything else worked.

CF Support

Administrator
We are looking into this. Unfortunately everyone's build system is a little different.

In the last build output from jdmulloy, it seems to be missing Image Magick. This may be do to a mis-configured dependency.

You may want to try forcing the build of Image Magick with
Code:
bitbake imagemagick
If this doesn't solve it, the other possibility is that it may need Image Magick for a local tool and you may need to have the image magick development package installed on your system. On Ubuntu we would do:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libmagickwand-dev libmagickcode-dev
We will continue to look into this. If these help please let us know.

Thank you.

jdmulloy

Also forgot to mention that I switched to Ubuntu 10.04.2 so that I'm using exactly the same environment as CrystalFontz.

CF Mark

Administrator
Im doing some testing here to find out whats going wrong with the angstrom building.
Strangely, building under a clean Debian 6.0.0 install gave no end of errors, but building under Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS appears to be going smoothly (has been building for ~8hrs now).
Ill be attempting to fix every error i can to make the build go as smoothly as possible for everyone, no matter the distro.

CF Mark

Administrator
I have now confirmed that Angstrom builds (both single and multithreaded) without errors on a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS using the given updated instructions.
Ill be testing Debian and Fedora next.