CFAL9664B-F-B1 power supply

airswit

Hi,

I have just ordered a CFAL9664B-F-B1 OLED display to play around with, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with building a power supply for this display. I will be connecting this to either a FPGA development board, with 3.3v power supply, or a microprocessor development board, with 3.3v power supply. The documentation indicates that the controller contains a DC-DC converter to generate the 12v needed for the display, but the converter is not implemented with this display, correct?
Can anyone point me to a reference design for a low component count/easy to implement 3.3v->12v converter, that i can use to properly interface to this display?

Thanks
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
One of the engineers is working on demo board support for that display. I'll see if I can get a schematic posted to the forum.

It seems like I heard from the engineer that the DC/DC that is built into the controller cannot be used, but I am not sure the reason. It might be that not all of the signals were brought out, or something similar.

CF Tech

Administrator
OK, one of the other engineers pushed the design through WebBench. I have attached the resulting design.
Here's a National simple switcher design done in National's WebBench that should provide the VPANEL (+13VDC) for the CFA9664B-F-B1. From the Crystalfontz datasheet, you need to provide VLOGIC (+3.3VDC) before VPANEL (opposite on powerdown) so you will want to use a port pin of your MCU to sequence the LM2735 through its SHDN pin to enable VPANEL after your VLOGIC is up and disable VPANEL before your VLOGIC falls.

Attachments

hooziewhatsit

Has this part changed since this post was made?

Page 59 of the datasheet shows how to connect external components to generate the Vpanel voltage.
http://screencast.com/t/DWPTyuUaLj
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/9664b/datasheets/1630/CFAL9664B-F-B1_v1.1.pdf

Do I need to go with an external solution like listed above, or does the internal generator work now?

Edit: Continued reading on the product page where it says the DC-DC converter was removed. However, the information is still in the datasheet?

Last edited: