CFAG240128L Questions

john

I am trying to connect the CFAG240128L graphic LCD to a Atmel AVR uC.

This LCD uses a Toshiba 6963 controller.

1. What does the RV pin do? In the interface description, is says H:Reverse, H:Normal. I am assuming it should say H:Reverse, L:Normal?

2. I am having problems reading the status from the T6963 (I always get 0x00). What I am doing is toggling the CE and RD bits from high to low to high (then reading the DB0-7 pins) while WR, RST, C/D are high, does this sound correct to you? To read the status, do I need to send a command on the DB0-7 bits? The LCD appears to be on, I am able to adjust the contrast with a potentiometer.

3. In terms of the general working of the LCD, this is how I understand it. There are basically 8 pixel by 8 pixel blocks of data that may represent a character from internal CGROM for instance. Knowing this there are (30) 8 pixel by 8 pixel blocks of data horizontally. There are also (16) 8 pixel by 8 pixel blocks of data vertically. The way you address the LCD is via an x and y pointer which will point to a specific 8 pixel by 8 pixel block. Is this thinking correct?

4. The LCD comes with a 8kB external memory. The datasheet recommends the user setup the external memory a certain way. In particular, a 3072B text area, a 3072B graphics area, and a 2048B CGRAM area. The 2048B CGRAM area in this case is user programmable correct? In addition to this CGRAM area, there is another on-chip CGRAM on the 6963 right? This 8k external memory can be setup any way the user wants right?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

I am not directly familiar with this controller, but I will try to answer some items.
1. What does the RV pin do? In the interface description, is says H:Reverse, H:Normal. I am assuming it should say H:Reverse, L:Normal?
Good question. The T6963 data sheet does not show this signal in its pinout. Maybe CFA has implimented some special function in hardware?
2. I am having problems reading the status from the T6963 (I always get 0x00). What I am doing is toggling the CE and RD bits from high to low to high (then reading the DB0-7 pins) while WR, RST, C/D are high, does this sound correct to you? To read the status, do I need to send a command on the DB0-7 bits? The LCD appears to be on, I am able to adjust the contrast with a potentiometer.
Sounds like your status read sequence is wrong. I would keep CE low during the whole function, instead of changing it along with RD. I also presume you are changing your AVR data port to input state before doing the read. A good sequence is:
Put C/D high (I assume RD, WR & RST are already high)
Put AVR data port to input
Put CE low
loop:
Put RD low
Wait at least 150 nS for data availability
Read data bus
Put RD high
Test status bits from the read operation
If STA0 && STA1 not both high, goto loop:
Put CE high
Put AVR port to output
Return
3. In terms of the general working of the LCD, this is how I understand it. There are basically 8 pixel by 8 pixel blocks of data that may represent a character from internal CGROM for instance. Knowing this there are (30) 8 pixel by 8 pixel blocks of data horizontally. There are also (16) 8 pixel by 8 pixel blocks of data vertically. The way you address the LCD is via an x and y pointer which will point to a specific 8 pixel by 8 pixel block. Is this thinking correct?
Seems like this would be true for text mode. In graphics mode, I'd expect the pointer to address a 1x8 pixel block. I could not find any evidence in the T6963 data sheet as to whether the byte is written horizontally (row) or vertically (column). Beyond that I don't have enough knowledge to say more.
4. The LCD comes with a 8kB external memory. The datasheet recommends the user setup the external memory a certain way. In particular, a 3072B text area, a 3072B graphics area, and a 2048B CGRAM area. The 2048B CGRAM area in this case is user programmable correct? In addition to this CGRAM area, there is another on-chip CGRAM on the 6963 right? This 8k external memory can be setup any way the user wants right?
Can't answer this.