CFAF320240F-T-TS with pic24

apalus

Has anyone connected the LCD touchscreen with a MicroChip pic24? If so, what were the pin connections I am basically confused by the muxed 8 bit data lines on the pic24 and the 16 lines for data on the LCD board. Do I need to latch the lines to make the es into 16? Any thoughts or experience?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Looking at a PIC24 brochure, it seems that cpu line might not be the best choice for LCD control using parallel bus method, as it seems heavy on fancy peripherals and light on GPIO. Did you have a particular part number in mind?

apalus

Specific Model

I'm using a Microchip pic24FJ128GA010. Spec sheet says it is a 16 bit data word but is muxed as two 8 bit so there are only data line 0-7. Can the CFAF320s40F-T-TS work in a similar mode?

djautoclinic

Apalus,

You can use the display in 8 bit mode, the PIC24 PMP will send the 16 bit word in two 8 bit bytes out the single port if you use the byte mode operation, there is a word mode operation that can use two 8 bit ports for 16 bit non-mux operation. The 8 bit mux mode will make data transfer and display updates 1/2 as fast as using two 8 bit ports with the display in 16 bit mode. I am not sure what you are running for other peripherals and using the PMP may not be necessary. Writing your own Data and Command routines for this display is very easy, using some of the features of the PIC24 is actually more complex and harder to troubleshoot. I would recommend getting the display to work with your own routines first and then 'learn' the PMP and other features of the PIC once you know the display is working for you. When you try to learn to use the PIC features and the display is not working you will have a harder time troubleshooting whether your problem is with your use of the PMP or with your program code.

This PIC is VERY rich in general purpose IO ports. They do have other features that can be enabled to change them from GPIO ports to fancy peripheral ports but that is prob not necessary for you. This PIC will control your display quite well and also interface with dozens of peripherals if you need or desire it to.

I would run the display in 16 bit parallel mode, use two 8-bit PIC ports and write my own data/command routines to start with. Just make sure the PIC ports are ones that can be configured to run in PMP mode and you can easily convert your program to use the PMP once you understand the display and have it working.

Brian