CFA634 - garbage flooding screen

lordtygr

Hi

I just got the usb cfa634. i have hooked it up on to my pc and when i start up the screen displays some special characters, the alphabet in upper and lower case, and "eeprom test ok." Then it goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. Once windows gets booted and i can start CC or lcd smartie (i've tried both to see if it was a software problem) the screen starts filling up with random characters until i close the program. I made sure the settings were at 19200 on com3 (where windows installed it). and i have also tried changing to com1 to see if that might solve the problem, but it has had the same results. i had downloaded the drivers from the cf site before i hooked up the lcd and made sure that the lcd is listed in both com/lpt ports and in the usb section of device manager. except what i have mentioned above, i have not made any other settings changes.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

lordtygr

i tried the wintest on all speeds. every key i type either outputs nothing, or some random character. i also fooled around with the dtr and rts settings. one off, one on, both off, etc...

lordtygr

i just looked at those jumpers and they are open... so it appears. it looks like their might be a tiny trace of leftover sodder that could be making a connection. its so small i cant tell for sure, i dont have a magnifying glass. i'll inspect it closer momentarily. However, i noticed on the smaller board that is the usb adapter, it says that JPE and JPB should be closed...

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Tech

Administrator
My mistake. I was thinking serial, even though you said USB.

They should be closed for a USB. This looks like a construction error.

If you have the ability to solder them closed, that makes it easy. If not, we will get a correct display out to you ASAP.

lordtygr

hehe, no problem. ya i do have a soldering iron but i suck like nobody's business, lol. luckily this is just making a small drip of solder on the jumpers, so i should be able to handle it. i'll let you know how it goes once i finish :D

CF Tech

Administrator
I am glad you got it going.

Please accept our apologies for our error, and the trouble it caused.