CFA533 With Arduino

thinkbohemian

I'm looking for an LCD with button combo to make a nice UI for an application im building with the Arduino. The CFA533-TMI-KC looks great, and I know that you can interface with the display through serial communication, but i'm unsure of how the buttons on this device interface. Looking through the product manual, it looks like there is onboard processing of the button inputs. So it would be possible to do all navigation onboard the CFA533, and only send serial commands to the Arduino say when the "check" button is pressed. Is this how the device operates or am I missing something?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

... it looks like there is onboard processing of the button inputs. So it would be possible to do all navigation onboard the CFA533, and only send serial commands to the Arduino say when the "check" button is pressed. Is this how the device operates or am I missing something?
This is my first look at the "KC" version (I have the "KS" version), so I hope I don't mislead you. AFAIK, the button "processing" consists only of debouncing them and storing their states. Pressing a button will not perform any navigation. Since everything in the I2C version is host initiated (unlike the rs232/USB versions which autonomously send button press data to the host), you will have to poll continuously, using command 24, to detect button activity, and then issue the appropriate commands to do your navigation.