CFA-633 serial communications

Krille

Hi all,

Is it possible to program the CFA-633 to send out user defined character sequences on the RS-232 port when a key is pressed?

Thanks,
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
The firmware that ships in a CFA-633 will only return "key report packets" (as detailed in the CFA-633 data sheet.

There is no reason the hardware could not do it, but custom firmware would require a large order commitment or an NRE charge.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

Krille

I am working for a company in sweden and we will purchase 150-300 pcs/year if we can use it in our application. At the moment it looks like we need to "customize" the string sent to the host when a key is pressed because we cannot re-program the host (PLC) to accept other character-sequences. A customized fimware sounds good to me if it can solve the problem. We have one more "problem", the host has a RS422 interface. Is it possible for you to modify the RS232 to RS422 also? We are currently using an external 232 to 422 converter and it would really be nice to get rid of that one too. But that is not as important as customizing keystroke strings so we better take one step at a time. =)

Thanks,

crazypick

A similar inquiry

Hi,

Like Krille, I have an application that the 633 might possibly be adapted for. Initially I'm looking for 50 units, but numbers could be more significant if we're successful. We will need to implement a higher-level (but simple) protocol for RS-232 serial communications to support an industrial control environment. Also, the units may require some unique address, thus requiring some flashable (or similar) memory on board. Hopefully no hardware changes tho ;)

I understand that you will build custom firmware if the customer pays and I'd like to explore this option further. As another option, maybe you can supply the 633 (or similar) in a user-programmable form? Depending on cost the second option could be more desirable, since it will give us more control over the final product and help to keep our external costs down.

FYI - the things I'm particularly like in the 633 are:
1) the low cost
2) the simple, attractive keypad layout
3) the 1-wire support

The fan controllers are redundant for this application.

kind regards, Chris Chamberlain

CF Tech

Administrator
Chris:

I think we can probably come up with a solution,

Please e-mail the contents of your post to sales(at)crystalfontz(dot)com and they will get a ticket open so we can discuss the details.