CFA-633 "Error: Send Data to LCD" on linux demo program

CringelordTheCRT

hello,

I've recently acquired a qualysguard scanner appliance II, which from the factory uses a serial version of the CFA-633 mounted to the front to display status codes. it no longer runs the original software, and i would like to restore that functionality. while trying to make sure everything with the display still works using the linux demo program offered on by crystalfontz, it connects to the display fine, its able to send the clear command and the device blanks out the screen, but gives an error when it tries to display anything. pressing buttons on the keypad results in the computer printing out the packet it received, so i can confirm its communicating with the computer at least

does anyone have any advice for the error it gives, or know of any different software available for debian to test it?

Ultra-simple CFA-631 / CFA-633 / CFA-635 command-line communications example.
Crystalfontz America, Inc. http://www.crystalfontz.com

Usage:
./example-633 PORT BAUD
PORT is something like "/dev/ttyS0" or "/dev/usb/ttyUSB0"
BAUD is 19200 or 115200
To clear the display, enter "clear" as an optional third parameter

Serial_Init:: success
"/dev/ttyS0" opened at "19200" baud.

C=223(Error: Send Data to LCD (row,col)),L=0,D="",CRC=0xD3B4
C=223(Error: Send Data to LCD (row,col)),L=0,D="",CRC=0xD3B4

Ctrl-C to exit.
Updated display, now waiting for packets

C=128(key:KEY_ENTER_PRESS),L=1,D="\005",CRC=0x8455
C=128(key:KEY_ENTER_RELEASE),L=1,D="\011",CRC=0x6D2B
C=128(key:KEY_ENTER_PRESS),L=1,D="\005",CRC=0x8455
C=128(key:KEY_ENTER_RELEASE),L=1,D="\011",CRC=0x6D2B
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CringelordTheCRT

I had not found that at first, and that is incredibly helpful, especially because now I can see the incoming packets. cftest receives a model number of "DP1609:h1.5,h1.9" and defaults to CFA635 mode, which it errors out constantly on doing anything. considering this has a custom keypad without the cancel button, and a model number sticker with both CFA 633 and DP1609, I can guess this is probably a custom board ordered by the manufacturer of this PC

I know this is board revision 1.5A, is it possible to flash the factory firmware for it to make communication easier? I was unable to find the firmware looking on my own, but considering I missed CFtest after looking for awhile, there's a lot im missing here

CringelordTheCRT

I should also note the silkscreen on the back of the LCD says CFA-633 1.5a, so I'm certain this is that model, at least controller board wise

CF Kelsey

Administrator
Staff member
That's quite an old module (pre-2010) to have hardware 1.5a. I don't think our newer firmware will run on the older modules, and we have not released any opensource firmware for the 633. However, since it is returning a Crystalfontz firmware number, it should still respond using the commands described in that datasheet.

The older datasheets are available on this page: https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfa633rmcks

CringelordTheCRT

i can confirm its old, this device was made sometime around 2007. and sadly I've also confirmed that the reason it keeps giving errors is the commands are changed on this firmware, packet type 31 on this unit expects only 3 bits and they turn on and off 3 LEDs on the front panel instead of changing what's on the screen as the datasheet says it should, and I could not find a single command that would let me write to the screen.

since I really have nothing to lose messing with this, what's the oldest 633 firmware available? because even if I brick it, it's not like much changed, and I'll still be needing to buy a more standard 633 to get it working

CF Kelsey

Administrator
Staff member
There is no 633 firmware publicly available.

Have you tried using commands 7 and 8 instead of 31 for sending data to the LCD?

CringelordTheCRT

sorry about not replying, life got busy and i forgot about this for awhile

software does not have an option to send 7, 8 does not work