CFA-633 Cabling Question

xepherys

Something seems to be wrong...

I got a 633 LCD that powers up (using the 4-pin floppy-style power connector). I've made two serial cables using 9-pin ribbon. One that's straight through (pins 1-9 line up flush to one side) and one that's "crossed over" (pins 1-5 on one side, 4-9 on the other). Neither connects to my device using WinTest. What else might I be missing?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
What is your device? I assume it has a 2x5 pin header? Do you have the manual or pin outs for that header?

You could use a WR232Y08 as a "known good connection" to test it with a PC's serial port.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

xepherys

The problem is that I don't have a header, so I don't have an option for 9-pin male RS232 to connect to that way.

I have no pinout diagram, but my device is an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard.

As a second try, I took another ribbon cable and gave it a 2x5 header to attach to the 633. I took a working USB to serial converter and crimped female pins onto wires 3, 5 and 9 coming from the 633 and attached them to pins 2, 3 and 5 on the serial device. This still did not work. Any other ideas? I'm thinking the device just doesn't work right. *shrug* It's gotta happen once in a while :-/

Last edited:

CF Tech

Administrator
Hmmm. I dono either. They do get tested before they go out, so it would be odd that it does not work.

You can request an RMA if you would like by sending and e-mail to support(at[crystalfontz(dot[com (edit to '@' & '.').

Please reference this thread.