CFA-632-YDI-KS problem constantly rebooting and then turning off

mpholmes

I got a CFA-632-YDI-KS with firmware version 3.4 just yesterday. It came with the jumper for USB power closed, so I removed that, since that's what the datasheet said to do for 232 operation. I tried the RS-232 full swing from my computer, which had a USB to serial converter. I wasn't getting the expected voltages for powering the CFA, so I just used a 12v battery jacked into the DB9 plug, whose ground was shared with the ground of the USB to serial device. IT seemed like an innocent way to get 9-15v. Well I was able to send a letter ('A") through cfTest.exe to the CFA, but then it also added a couple extra symbols, and then would reboot about 1 times every 0.75 seconds (several times), and then the screen would go blank, but the back light would still be on. So, I gave up on the 232, and made sure JP2 was shorted, and then shorted JPDFLT, found a printer USB cable, whose wires were red, black, and twisted pair green and white. I saw that your USB cable wires in the datasheet were the same colors, so I used them in the same order you suggested. I successfully changed the mode to USB (But only by powering it with J2. Only using the 4 wire USB connection would not turn it on)

So, I attached the 4 USB wires to the USB connector on the board (top to bottom, red, white, green, black). I plugged in the USB to the computer, and nothing happened on the CFA. The only way I can get +5v power to turn it on is to connect the +5v to J2. But cfTest.exe doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in when I have the 4 wires connected to USB, the CFA is in USB mode, and the +5v/ground are connected from the USB to JP2. I wouldn't have thought that you would need to connect anything to J2. Any suggestions?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad