CC2 using 2-5% of CPU sometimes, using 0% at other times, cant figure out difference

moeburn

My system:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz
  • Crystalfontz 633 LCD module
  • CrystalControl2 build 1119 from 01/15/2011

If I leave my computer on for a while, then go into the task manager and sort by "CPU Time", I'd bet money that cc2_tray.exe is always at the top of the list. This list includes other CPU-using software such as uTorrent and Firefox, as well as CPU-using system tasks such as Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) and the system kernel itself. If I go into Resource Monitor, CC2's average CPU usage is about 3%, and its average cycle is about 6, whatever that means. It has 38 open threads, which is higher than all of my non-system applications. It has way too many open handles to list, and some of them are very strange. For example, CC2 is accessing the index.dat file in IE's cookies folder? I don't even use IE. There are a hell of a lot of registry key handles open, and I'm not a programmer, but many of them seem completely unrelated to CC2. Most of them are under the ControlSet001\Services keys, such as Spooler or TCPIP.

According to Resource Monitor, cc2_tray is using about 32kb-128kb of disk activity per second. At first I thought this was related to the CPU usage, but uTorrent reads and writes way more bytes than cc2_tray does, and it uses less CPU.

Also, sometimes cc2_tray.exe doesn't use any CPU at all, for hours at a time. I can't figure out what changed to make it stop using the CPU; I've tried restarting the app in every way possible, cycling through all my active screens, playing with CC2 Config settings, nothing seems to make any difference. Are other screens being updated even when they are not currently active/visible? I ask because if this is the case, then it is likely one of my screens as the culprit, and that would be why cycling through active screens makes no difference.

Now I highly doubt that 3-5% of CPU usage is enough to impact the performance of my system or any cpu-intensive games I play, but the fact that it uses so much CPU time is a little disconcerting, especially if I consider the lifetime of my CPU. Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
All sounds about right to me :)

CC2 at first glance seems like a simple app, but it has to do a lot of work to gather the information from Windows and other sources.
Its all multi-threaded (every plugin is one or more threads), hence the high thread and file handle count.
Every plugin is continuously gathering data (some at up to 20 times/sec) whether they are actually being used or not.

If you really want to work at reducing resource usage, you can move plugin DLL's (the cc2_xxxxx.dll files, not se_xxxx.dll's) that you dont use to a different directory.

As for lifetime of a CPU... its never a concern.
You should just assume itll last forever, because they do under normal conditions (ie, not overheated/over-voltage).

moeburn

Thanks for your reply, I had no idea CC2 was doing that much work! So should I clean up just my plugin dlls, my custom screens, or both?

Just did a little checking in Process Monitor, there are only 3 files that cc2_tray.exe is constantly accessing:
c:\windows\syswow64\d3d8.dll
c:\windows\syswow64\d3d9.dll
c:\windows\syswow64\dxgi.dll

I've tried deleting these files, but it is still checking to see if they exist. For some reason, speedfan.exe is doing the exact same thing.

CF Mark

Administrator
Dont delete those... thats a bad idea.

I have no idea why its using those files. Itll be a dependency of a dependency.

moeburn

Dont delete those... thats a bad idea.

I have no idea why its using those files. Itll be a dependency of a dependency.
Sorry when I say delete I mean temporarily move to another folder... I'm not stupid enough to permanently erase them :p Just wanted to see the effect. I put them right back afterwards, no apparent effects here.