CC2 Service Quits

Freddy warbird

Hello. First post. First problem. Anyways, I discovered the Crystalcontrol2, and this forum last night as I have been attempting to learn how serial port, and LCD communication works, so that I may learn something before I explore this further. Noob Alert! I picked up an 5x7 dot 16x2 character LCD module from a local electronics surplus house. It is this one here.
http://201.232.58.13/pub/internet/nuevo/cm162b.pdf

I followed the instructions on the CC2 site as if it were the generic 14 pin + backlight using an old printer DS25 cable. I believe it's wired correctly as I get a nice default TEST screen of the 16x2 5x7 led's coming from the front panel. The module is plugged into my old Compaq Armada E500 850 laptop running a fresh install, and fully up to date version of Windows 2000 professional sp4 32bit. The port setting in the Bios is set to Bidirectional.

I installed the latest version of CC2 using Opera brower as the downloader, and followed the instructions. It asked me to re-start, and upon coming back to the desktop, the little CC2 icon went blue. I configured my model to the HD44780 port 0x378. I also downloaded the Screens files, cause they are missing, and unzipped them to the CC2 directory. I used the *.2002, under file name and was able to see files to load. I loaded a 12 hour clock just to see if something would come up. File name set to *.0000 are blank, or the folders appear empty. Don't know why that is, and I realize that the 5x7 dot module that I have, may be an odd ball size for CC2, or for what file are in the program.

Here's the problem. The moment I re-started the CC2 application, I got an Error, and have been getting this error every time whether I attempt to restart the CC2 service, application, or on a computer restart. It just won't run. It ran the one time on the very first computer reboot, and that was it. I can go into configure, but that's about it, and the CC2 icon is always red now.

Windows event viewer gives me these three error reports.

Source CC2_showgif
ERROR 20100429-022025-0. 001672s load_settings #291:file"C:\gifs\clock_logo_anigif not found or not valid GIF,skipping section
ERROR

Source CC2_keyboard
ERROR 20100429-022025-0. 002002s load_dll #267: could not load key_export.dll

Source Service control manager
The CC2 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 7 times. no attempts to restart. no action taken Bla bla bla.

Here are the log, and ini file to look at. I hope I zipped it correctly, and thank you for at least reading about my issue. Thanks again. :)
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

Attachments

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
First, what Windows version are you running?
HD44780 (printer port support) support is pretty much dead for everything other than WinXP :(

Freddy warbird

First, what Windows version are you running?
HD44780 (printer port support) support is pretty much dead for everything other than WinXP :(
As described in the OP.
Windows 2000 professional sp4 32bit

Interesting that support all but dead for anyhting other than xp or later.

With the service stopped, I can still go to configure. I tried a different screen "CPU Uusage Bargragh", and the bottom role of led's lit up. That's good sign at least for the wiring job. hmm.

Edit: Success! Unsupported CC1 works just fine lol....:D

Attachments

Last edited:

CF Mark

Administrator
Hah, good to see CC1 still works ;)

More time & effort went into supporting HD44780 displays in CC1 than when into CC2.
When Vista & Win7 came around, supporting printer port displays became quite difficult, so i concentrated on other parts of the software instead.
That said though... it should work in Win2k.

I cant see anything in your logs or ini files that would suggest a problem.
The only thing i can really suggest doing is changing CC2 to run as a "user tray application" instead of as a service.
You can do that in the CC2 config app in the "general options" tab.

Freddy warbird

Hah, good to see CC1 still works ;)
Yeah, I was very pleased to see data come up. I can write directly to the panel too through the config window.Fun!

More time & effort went into supporting HD44780 displays in CC1 than when into CC2.
I have another module. I think it's an Fstn dot graphic ccfl 14pin module. Don't know much about those just yet, and i'm learning from this Datavison one first. You guys have some cool serial lcd, and character lcds. What's the difference?

When Vista & Win7 came around, supporting printer port displays became quite difficult, so i concentrated on other parts of the software instead.
That said though... it should work in Win2k.
Well, i'm having trouble with CC2, and win2000.

I cant see anything in your logs or ini files that would suggest a problem.
The only thing i can really suggest doing is changing CC2 to run as a "user tray application" instead of as a service.
You can do that in the CC2 config app in the "general options" tab.
Yeah, the service just won't run. What's weird is it runs on install/reboot, but the moment I hit the restart tab in the config window, its a service quit issue.
I'll give that "general options" tab option a try after I mess around with CC1 some more. Thank you for your time, and looking at my problem. I appreciate it.