CC2-like Linux Program

kwilhite

I am looking for a program that is very similar to CC2 that runs in CentOS (Linux). Any suggestions?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

kwilhite

http://www.crystalfontz.com/links/index.html is the CF link for 3rd party software. There are some Linux programs listed.

I do not use Linux, so I have no idea how they work.

JC
Very inconveniently. From what I have gathered, they are CLI only and have no where near the functionality of the Windows CC2 program I have been using... that is unless you are a Linux Guru and LCD Scripting master who can straight make everything needed from the floor up with no help at all.

I obviously am not. So my idea of moving my project over to Linux is pretty much going down in flames.

IanB

I did. I found them to be way out of my league.
What was it about IILC that you found to be way out of your league? All criticism welcomed, and if I can make it better then that would be a great help.

BTW - Windows support is getting near completion.

kwilhite

What was it about IILC that you found to be way out of your league? All criticism welcomed, and if I can make it better then that would be a great help.

BTW - Windows support is getting near completion.
I actually didn't try that one yet. I tried LCD4Linux and LCDproc.

ehall

I've used LCD4Linux with my 635. It's pretty nice, but nowhere near as powerful as CC2.

I couldn't get LCDproc to work at all hardly.

It would be wonderful to have CC2 ported over. It's just a service with text config files so... I imagine the driver models are pretty different though.

kwilhite

I've used LCD4Linux with my 635. It's pretty nice, but nowhere near as powerful as CC2.

I couldn't get LCDproc to work at all hardly.

It would be wonderful to have CC2 ported over. It's just a service with text config files so... I imagine the driver models are pretty different though.
Which Linux were you using when you got LCD4Linux to run?

I've been trying using CentOS 4 without any luck... in fact, I haven't had any luck getting past the ./configure with ANY of these linux lcd programs using CentOS. :mad:

kwilhite

Could the directions for installation and configuration of these linux based LCD programs be anymore BROAD?!

My boss switched my project over to a Linux platform requirement and now my headaches have never been so bad. LCDProc and LCD4Linux are now my worst enemies.

ehall

'hwinfo --usb' and 'hwinfo --serial' should show the devices (that's the command under SUSE anyway). There is some other configuration work that has to be in lcd4linux done but that should get you going.

kwilhite

'hwinfo --usb' and 'hwinfo --serial' should show the devices (that's the command under SUSE anyway). There is some other configuration work that has to be in lcd4linux done but that should get you going.
could you post your lcd4linux.conf file for me to take a peak at by any chance?

KDB9000

I didn't have a problem installing LCD4Linux in CentOS 4.4. I have had troubles in other Linux.

kwilhite

How can I figure out which PORT (ex. "/dev/ttyS0" or "/dev/usb/ttyUSB0") my LCD has attached itself to?
In CentOS 4.4 it is /dev/ttyUSB0. Run:

ls /dev/

in the terminal and see if you have ttyUSB0 or anything in there that has USB on it. That should be the port you want to use (for USB displays). I am working with a guy on making the 635 work with a Trixbox system. Trixbox is an all in one installer for a VoIP phone server. He made his 635 work using PHP CLI scripting. It is still in the works.