CC2 in embedded computing

MattEDM

Hello! I apologize for the somewhat general nature of my questions. Feel free to smack me toward a FAQ if I have searched inadequately =(.

Is CC2 appropriate for use to control a 635 on a computer that operates completely headless, or is it intended for use on a desktop platform? (635 is the only human I/O) The system does have a console session logged in, so it wouldn't need to support truely running as a service, although if it does that's excellent! All I really need to do is move through some menus with the arrow buttons, issue NET commands and other simple things that can be done on the command line, and display things like IP Address and CPU load.

Also, if anyone knows, or if the author is around: Does CC2 talk at all on its STDOUT and STDERR streams? it'd be handy to be able to spawn the process out of a servlet and be able to talk to it without polling log files =).

Thanks!
-Matt
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
Greetings,

Is CC2 appropriate for use to control a 635 on a computer that operates completely headless, or is it intended for use on a desktop platform? (635 is the only human I/O) The system does have a console session logged in, so it wouldn't need to support truely running as a service, although if it does that's excellent!
CC2 does run as a NT service.

All I really need to do is move through some menus with the arrow buttons, issue NET commands and other simple things that can be done on the command line, and display things like IP Address and CPU load.
The CC2 event system (as is) can handle some of what your after.
There isnt an event setup GUI for CC2 yet, so itll all need to be setup manually using the INI config files.
Making a menu system would be a matter of setting up the menu screens, then using events to flip between screens on button presses.

As for issuing NET commands, or command line commands, there isnt a CC2 plugin that will do this.
One would need to be made.

By the time you have come up with the screens, made the events & written a plugin to handle calling external NET/commands, you probably could have written your own software from scratch :(

Also, if anyone knows, or if the author is around: Does CC2 talk at all on its STDOUT and STDERR streams? it'd be handy to be able to spawn the process out of a servlet and be able to talk to it without polling log files =)
It doesnt, as it was always written to run as a plain NT service.

MattEDM

Thanks for the answer! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Even if it could be written from scratch in a similar amount of time, I have to test code I write, but the testers have to test off the shelf software, so programmers being the creatures of sloth we are... =)