CC2 and Linux

jbober

I've been running my 635 with CC2 under assorted Windows versions for so long that it's hard to give it up. However, for assorted reasons, I need to switch to a Linux OS. Has anyone ever been successful getting CC2 to execute properly under Wine? Compared to CC2, lcdproc is really lame, and I'd really like to have CC2 back ...
Jim
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

starlon

The problem is information. I can get one to run under a VM, but you can't access anything but virtual machinery and data, so it's pretty useless. I'm working on a Linux based Crystalfontz controller right now. I'm about to upload a video of it in action, the display being abused a bit. :) Other than lcdproc there's lcd4linux which is alright. I based my own program on lcd4linux's basic design, and rewrote some of the code in Python for my program. Mine aims to be a GUI controller, much like CC2. So far it has histograms, bars, icons, text marquees, layout transitions, the basics. I'm looking to support everything CC2 has to offer, including fan control.

Edit: Here's the video: https://forum.crystalfontz.com/showthread.php?p=26759#post26759

Last edited:

starlon

Oh and about Wine. I could never get it to translate a serial port over. I thought maybe I could at least run the Test app, but no good. A lot of people have had the same issue with usbserial/ftdi devices and Wine, saying it's the last thing that keeps Windows installed.