CC1 options also in CC2?

smack

I'm still using the "old" CrystalControl (V1.07) to run my CF 634 USB display. It's been doing what I want it to do for nearly two years now.

This is my current (CC1) config:
There are 4 screens (time/date, MBM temps/RMPs, several Perfmon values) which do not alternate automatically, instead I use the "System Wide Hotkeys" to switch the screens whenever I want. The option "Disable module if Winamp is running" is active, because I use Markus Zehnder's lcdplugin for Winamp.

I would like to use CC2 in order to get rid of MBM. Currently there are both Speedfan (for fan control) and MBM (for CrystalControl) running. As I understand the discussions here, the screens I'm currently using in CC1 could be custom-made for CC2. (even without the Screen Editor)

OK, here is my question to the experts: does CC2 have these options of CC1, too?
"Disable module if Winamp is running"
"System Wide Hotkeys" (Next/Previous Screen)

These options are pretty important for me since I got used to this special behavior of my LCD. :)
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

reider

Scroll up/down is performed by default for keypad type modules (631, 633, 635). For non keypad types (634) as well as features on keypad types we use a keyboard plugin which utilises a scroll up/down from the PC keyboard. You get to choose any keys you wish, even on wireless keyboards. ALT+UP and ALT+DOWN is a good choice for scroll since its easy to remember and differentiates from normal UP/DOWN usage of the keys by adding the ALT to it. This takes a minimal amount of technical work to implement, and should only take a few moments.

I have personally written the screens for Winamp, though for 631 and 635 with keypad control. To re-write for the 634 with skip screen would be no great problem, and quickly achieved.

I`ve written almost all of the speedfan screens for all modules, have all the test screens for hard to diagnose hardware to be included in the screens.

On top of this, we have many other resident members of the team constructing many many other types of screens and plugins. Look out for JC, Daks and last but no means least JDGordon.

Alternate feature and lots more besides can easily be achieved with CC2. Live weather/news update is yet another feature, which ultimately means not having to rely on a third party application to get the benefit.

Steve

Last edited:

reider

As an option, I`m going to add four control screens for winamp. these are FWD, RWD, STOP, PAUSE, CLOSE, PLAY, NEXT TRACK and PREVIOUS TRACK. For this I will utilise the keypad portion of a wireless and/or wired keyboard for the input. This truly brings the 634 up to date and on a par with the other modules.

Work has started and a new thread will be posted with full details as soon as its completed, tested and documented. Maybe now would be a good time for you to get CC2 installed heh heh! ;)

Steve

smack

reider, thanks for the infos!

OK, the hotkeys for screen switching are available via the keyboard plugin. That's good news!

What about the other feature of CC1 - to disable the LCD module while Winamp is running? Is this possible in CC2, too?

I'm using lcdplugin for Winamp because it not only displays infos about the track but it also provides a (fully configurable) menu to control Winamp. This is extremely useful when the PC is used as an audio jukebox: there is no need to even connect a monitor to the PC because all infos and controls (album/track selection menu etc.) are visible on the LCD module. Together with an infrared remote control and Girder I have full control over Winamp from my armchair without switching on the monitor.

It is only possible to use lcdplugin in Winamp if no other application is currently accessing the LCD module, otherwise an error message appears saying that the COM port cannot be accessed.

I hope that you understand that this feature is important for me, it's not against CC2 or you as the author of the screens.

Thanks for your help!

update
As much as I appreciate your offer to implement Winamp control via keyboard in CC2 screens - I don't think it's necessary. Winamp already has its own keyboard controls.

Last edited:

reider

Right, I think I have a fuller picture of your setup now. As far as I know there currently exists no way of switching off the module within CC2. Not full off anyway, only dim the display-which obviously does not free up the com port. Perhaps CF Tech will read this and comment further on the subject.

Keyboard control via screens on the LCD module would show the necessary keypresses and the resultant actions. Remotely, on a wireless keyboard without using third party utilities. No use to you with a remote, but of use to others who do not use this kind of input/third party program. The idea being to keep everything central and accessible, from within one easily maintained program.

Steve