Cannot get CFA-632 / WR232Y08 / RS232 Header working

laser92awd

My CFA-632 shows no signs of life when hooked up this way:

I have an MSI RS482M4 mainboard. It has a 10 pin serial header connector on the mainboard which I have assigned to COM2 in the BIOS (2F8,IRQ3).

I purchased a WR232Y08 cable which fits the mainboard header on one end, and the male DB9 connector on the back of my CFA-632.

The pin assignments on my mainboard header are:
1 DCD
2 SIN
3 SOUT
4 DTR
5 GND
6 DSR
7 RTS
8 CTS
9 RI
10 no pin

I know my CFA-632 is working, because when I connect it to my other PC (which has an external serial port) it works fine.

My COM2 port shows up in XP's device manager and appears to be working properly.

I do not have a header > DB9 bracket adapter to try an external hookup (and I'm really hoping for a totally internal hookup).

I have the CFA-632 jumpered for 19200 baud (same as the other PC). But when I try to use the display, I get nothing. No backlight, no text.

I don't think they are communicating with each other. :)

I have a feeling a couple pins need to get flipped, but I don't know which ones or what method I should use to make that happen.

I'd sure appreciate any help!
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Support

Administrator
If you send an email over to sales (at) crystalfontz.com, we can get you a crossover cable so that you can make this connection internally.

USB LCD Displays - Graphic and Character LCDs with a Keypad

CF Support

Administrator
A Null-modem connection would not work in this case, you actually need to change the order of the connections to your motherboard.