Bsod

dhs

2 days with random BSOD.

Uninstalled CC2. No more BSOD :(

I'm sorry but i can't even send a log; the bsod seems to happen before any log can be saved.

What can i do to help?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

dhs

Still BSOD.

BUT, i found out it happens *only* when CC2 is reading values from SpeeFan.

If speedfan is running, no problems.
If CC2 is running, ni problems.

If CC2 is using the speedfan plugin, after a while, BSOD.

So, i think the problem lies in the SpeedFan plugin. Maybe it's not fully ok with x2 processors.

EDIT: Nope, it happened again, even without speedfan running or screens needing the speedfan plugin :(

Last edited:

dhs

Did some other tests today.

Looks like if i set the logging on (file_level=1) no more BSOD.

:confused:

CF Mark

Administrator
If speedfan is running, no problems.
If CC2 is running, ni problems.

If CC2 is using the speedfan plugin, after a while, BSOD.
Before the BSOD happens, is CC2 showing the correct speedfan information?

meklubba

I'm using SpeedFan and CC2 version 20060216 (haven't got time to upgrade yet) to read fan-speeds, temps and voltage using a P4 with HT and it works. Is your system a real dual-proc or is it HT.
I *think* that SpeedFan is using memory mapped files to communicate the values and my thought was that if your system is dual-proc then it could be that perhaps one processor (the one that originally did not execute the plugin) tries to read the mmf and causes a violation that causes the BSOD.
To test if it is processor related set affinity on the cc2_service.exe.
Otherwise run System applet from Control Panel, click on the Advanced tab, click Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section, Uncheck the checkbox for Automatically Restart and hit some Ok buttons on the way out. :)
Next time you get the BSOD you have the opportunity to write down the error messages and post it here and perhaps some one is able to help you. :)

/Daniel

dhs

meklubba said:
I'm using SpeedFan and CC2 version 20060216 (haven't got time to upgrade yet) to read fan-speeds, temps and voltage using a P4 with HT and it works.

It worked for me too with 20060216 (beside the bsod).
It doesn't read Fan02 with the latest release.

Is your system a real dual-proc or is it HT.
AMD64 4400 x2.

I *think* that SpeedFan is using memory mapped files to communicate the values and my thought was that if your system is dual-proc then it could be that perhaps one processor (the one that originally did not execute the plugin) tries to read the mmf and causes a violation that causes the BSOD.
Problem is that BSOD happens even when SpeedFan isn't running and CCD isn't using the speedfan plugin.

To test if it is processor related set affinity on the cc2_service.exe.
Otherwise run System applet from Control Panel, click on the Advanced tab, click Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section, Uncheck the checkbox for Automatically Restart and hit some Ok buttons on the way out. :)
Next time you get the BSOD you have the opportunity to write down the error messages and post it here and perhaps some one is able to help you. :)
I will. Thanks :)

dhs

Attacched: logs and ini from the last crash.

Note: you will notice that CC2 creates IDs only for some sensors in speedfan, while speedfans actually sees everything (fans 1-3, and so on).

Attachments

meklubba

Download ProcessExplorer (it is by the way the best program in this category) http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
Run it and right click on the cc2_service.exe (it is listed under System in the tree view) and choose Set Affinity..., uncheck any of Cpu 0 or Cpu 1. Unfortunately this has to be done every time you reboot your system.
This procedure will not work with windows taskmanager since you get permission denied when trying to set affinity... :)

I'll check and see if there is an Win32 API to set affinity on processes or if someone has solved this problem allready.

Perhaps there is a way to set affinity when the service is installed, but I leave it to CrystalControl Admin to check it up. :)

dhs

Ok, i tried to set the affinity (only on cpu0), started CC2 and after some seconds, bsod :)

TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOW

STOP: 0x00000012 (0x00000001, 0x0000b080, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

:(

meklubba

According to my Visual Studio Documentation there is such a function. I'll check into it later, I can not promise when. :)

Since it works for me with HT, which isn't really dual CPU since, as I've understood it, it is the instruction streams that is splitted into two inside the CPU, but the two simulated CPUs still share the same caches. With dual proc you have separate caches which introduces cache coherency problems. Further more you get accessing issues to RAM, Virtual memory and internal busses amongst other. It could be related. I did a quick search with google and found other that had experinced the same problem but with other programs.

I'll get back here if and when I have something I think is usefull... :)

/Daniel

meklubba

dhs said:
Ok, i tried to set the affinity (only on cpu0), started CC2 and after some seconds, bsod :)

TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOW

STOP: 0x00000012 (0x00000001, 0x0000b080, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

:(
I'll have to go, but that indicates hardware - driver compatibility problems.

/Daniel

dhs

All that is damn wrong. With the july build of CC2 i didn't have such problems on this pc.

Just to make sure, anyone can point me to the latest LCD-Usb drivers?

CF Mark

Administrator
Perhaps there is a way to set affinity when the service is installed, but I leave it to CrystalControl Admin to check it up. :)
First we should remove all other possiblities as its still not clear if this is actually a multi processor problem.

DHS, try this:
- kill the cc2_service in task manager
- close the config app
- move all cc2_xxxx.dll files out of the CC2 directory to a temporary location except for "cc2_timedate.dll".
- delete all the log files
- edit "logprefs.ini" and set "file_level" to a value of "0".
- start the config app, then start CC2.

Leave it running of a while, see if it still dies.
If it doesnt, itll be a plugin causing the problem.
If it does die, itll be a cc2_service problem... zip up the log files and attach them in here.