ATI Tray Tool shows in editor not in screen

ehall

Very odd ... I am looking to add a couple of screens for my ATI video card and am poking at the tray tools widget, it works alright in the editor but the LCD screen does not display the data. In those places where I reference the tray tool plug-in directly (such as displaying GPU Mhz value) the LCD shows "NA", and in those places where I reference the data (such as a histogram) it is blank.

Also seems the editor does not really start displaying data until I load the screen for editing. Maybe the DLL is not being automatically loaded?
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Mark

Administrator
You will not be able to display information from applications like that when using the CC2 Service under Vista/Win7.
You'll need to change to using the "user tray application".

CF Mark

Administrator
What do you mean by "from other channels"?

The majority of apps that CC2 supports, share information via "shared memory".
Vista introduced security measures which stopped communication by services to user-space applications via shared memory.
Hence why the CC2 NT service can access all information fine in XP, but cant under Vista & Win7.
This is why i introduced the CC2 tray app, to get around this problem.

ehall

AIDA64 (which is the old Everest hardware monitoring software under a new name) makes things like GPU utilization available via WMI, so I can get most of the info through that channel. AIDA64 doesn't provide FPS info, but almost everything else is there.

I've run into other problems with the security restrictions (cannot have service "interact with desktop" anymore, for example), and they seem pretty stupid for the most part. Data can be shared with WMI or internet sockets or .... so the only real difference is making people have to code differently.

CF Mark

Administrator
Yeah, thats right, some apps provide information in other ways.
Its just that for many many years shared memory was the way to do it, and MS recommended it.
So its not surprising that programmers are still catching up.

The interact with desktop problem effects CC2 service as well... dimming the LCD on user idle no longer works.