Athlon 64 and LCD modules

reider

Hi guys, just installed a new AMD 64 puter. Running a 631 LCD module internally, a 634 and 635 externally, all on USB, utilising the Crystalfontz 2154 driver. I used this because the CPU is running on XP Pro, which is 32 bit. All running aok, had to point windows to the drivers on my machine twice for each module to do it but working as it should.

Next test, should I manage to get an OEM copy of XP 64, will be more fun. Watch this space for details or post your own, information much appreciated by others contemplating this route, I`m sure.

This board has 4 USB at the rear, 2 at the front and three internally. The front ones run off a complete internal connection and the 631 runs off just one side of the second internal connection. I put a gig and a half of memory in for now, will up this when I put XP 64 in. Looks like a visit to a computer market (Bowlers) is called for, lol.

Reider
Looking for additional LCD resources? Check out our LCD blog for the latest developments in LCD technology.

CF Tech

Administrator
We have toyed with XP-64 here on a couple of systems, but there is always something that goes south (typically a driver), and we end up back at W2K.

CF Mark

Administrator
Sounds good.
So i gather there are no problems with the LCDs, USB drivers, CC2 with normal 32bit XP?

Ill be very interested in hearing how XP 64 goes.

reider

No problems whatsoever, I put it off for so long thinking there would be problems. Nobody had actually come forward and said they`d done it, but I have spare machines to put the modules on if push came to shove. Thus, the experimenter in me got the final word.

Now, I did the install very methodically, installed the driver then added the 631 internally. Added the 635 externally, ditto the 634. Booted up, xp Pro found the USB hardware and attempted to find the drivers. I told it where they were on the c:\ drive and it installed aok. Next it found the USB ports (all updates inc SP2 had already been done). At one point it did suggest there was a problem and some of my new hardware would not work, though it didn`t suggest why.

I rebooted, no LCD modules working, went into control panel and found a yellow hyphen against each USB device. I pointed at each USB device, then told it where to update the drivers from. Pointed once more at the location on my C:\ drive (same place, all this technology and we have to show XP where it is......). This time, all works, don`t know why I had to do it twice but hey, it works-never had to do it before.

I placed this article here knowing it would be of interest to people contemplating the same move. At least we know definetively now, it is possible. Got 2-3 screens working on each module, all buttons, no problems.

Reider

reider

CF Tech said:
We have toyed with XP-64 here on a couple of systems, but there is always something that goes south (typically a driver), and we end up back at W2K.
The board I chose is a G-Force 7, fully 64 bit compatible with all drivers on the disk ready. I was up all night choosing the video card, normally would have gone for ATI but they don`t and will not supply too many drivers for 64 bit till its more readily accepted. They do supply some however but only a selected range and not the card I would have gone for. I thus ended up going for an Nvidia 256mb card which takes up to another 256 mb off the system, giving it 512mb total. Fan assisted and full drivers on the cd for 64 bit.

HP for my printers (I have 4 printers inc a mobile with 7 puters, inc a Mac). HP have been a bit slow in providing 64 bit drivers but I can almost certainly get a connection via my latest networked HP printer, on which I do not connect the USB cable (I could.... but do not).

I think you can see the way this is going, I have made certain insurances in my longer term plan of installing XP 64, Linux 64 is going to be played with too, maybe dual boot. In the meantime, I played the wild card and got the XP compatibility sorted too.

Reider